Used 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

My forever Jeep
By tjinsaanich

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've bought it used the first day of 2007 at 72,000 KM and I haven't regret it once. I have made many mods to it and now it sport Aussie lockers, 3" lift with 31" MT, snorkel with Body spacer air intake, body armor all around with flat fender, Bush bumper with winch, striped down interior and a truck bed liner paint job. Needless to say it is an off-road machine but I also use it as my daily driver most days. My other vehicle is a VW Eurovan camper that is great and comfortable but it ain't my Jeep and if I had to choose I'd take the Jeep any day.

I love the short wheel base, width and coil suspension makes this vehicle perfect for off-roading, it even took me on many ATV trails that other 4x4 (including the JK) could not manage. The turning radius is great and the mostly metal (mine is striped of most plastic components) make it a solid reliable 4x4. I rarely get stuck even before I put in lockers and often pull others out of a jam. It has a lot of torque and great compression for going downhill.

The main con with this Jeep was in my opinion a little too much plastic when I first got it. I'm someone who appreciate a solid spartan truck like look and feel to a vehicle. And the top is somewhat awkward wether it be the hard top of soft top bot have their own issues. So I'm now using wrapped around Bikini top with wind jammer , Problem solved.

Most Versatile, Fun, Sexy, Reliable Vehicle Ever Built
By jamesdoolin

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Wrangler new in June 2001 and now have 193,000 miles as of Oct.2011 Still runs STRONG. I've used it to pull a 28' foot parasail in open fields. I own a boat rental business and have been pulling and towing 5000 pound trailers for years even though its only rated to pull 2500. Can take a while to stop with 5000 pounds behind you though :) I use my Wrangler for advertising, I've got a large removable neon sign hanging between the roll bars in the back! Love to take the top down and the doors off and blast my music! Did a little 4x4 early on and it can handle it. Ice, snow, beach, no problem. Wranglers are great fun, if you don't like em then you're not fun. I'll keep mine 4ever.

Favorites include soft top and removable doors. Some reviews/people say the top is hard to put up and down. Not really true, there are specific steps that you just have to follow and do it in the right order. Otherwise, you can struggle with it a bit. Temperature also affects this... warm temps make it easier because the fabric stretches a little more and cold temps the fabric tightens up making it harder. Doors literally lift off the hinges in 2 seconds. Extremely versatile vehicle with lots of modifications and customizations available. If stuck in traffic on the Interstate I can jump off road to the service road with ease. Wrangler is part of a life style, you have a reason for owning it

Gas mileage could be better. 17city/19highway is average. But I would NOT sacrifice hp or torque for better mileage. A removable back seat might be nice, just to have extra room when needed. The 2001 Wranglers just fold forward, but not removable. I hear the newer models 2008 and up went to a V6 instead of keeping the inline-6 like have. I'm told this results in a slight loss of power and towing capability. I love my 2001 Wrangler! I wish I could have afforded to buy 2 at the time. I take mine to the dealer every 3000 miles for oil change. Have kept every receipt in a well organized binder since day 1. Plan to get 500,000 miles out of this Wrangler, only 300k to go.

a go any where vehicle
By 60885

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a senior. In year 2001, we had a bad snow storm. I had to abandon my Volvo and started to walk the 3 miles home. A guy in a jeep gave me a ride. I was so impressed I went and bought a Wrangler. 60yr anniversary for Jeep and same for me. I still have it. I love it and can't part with it. Got less than 60K miles on it. It bounces and it jounces, my wife hates it, the dealership wants me to trade it (they're salivating) but I can go on the beach, cast to the surf and enjoy my retirement.

True 4 wheel drive. Removable hard top to soft. Adoptability to after market accessories ( roof rack, front hitch receiver, fishing pole holders) and little fear of bumps and dings in parking lots and airport long term parking lots

Bring back the top bumper fogs and the drop down tail gate. The soft top connection to the rear gate is real pain. Can not easily access the rear compartment without a hassle.

Over 100,000
By jrjeep

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought/ordered this Jeep from the factory in 2001. I have both tops and have installed a 4 inch lift kit and have 33 inch tires on it. It has been a great vehicle that takes me anywhere I want to go. I have had absolutely no trouble with the Jeep. I'm still on the original battery too. The only parts I have put on is brakes. It has been driven on numerous long trips Ex. (North Carolina to El Paso, Texas)and been trouble free. It's not the most comfortable ride, but it's reliable.

Too many to list. The 4.0 inline 6 has lots of torque and of course it's a convertible that goes anywhere you point it.

Gas mileage.

Super Reliable and Fun Vehicle
By Overgaardman

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

What a great vehicle! This thing is fun and totally reliable. I have over 51,000 mile on it and it even has the original battery!! In Arizona about 3 years is the normal life for a battery. I read consumer report which of course finds this to be a CRUDE SUV. These people just don't get it. I love this thing and it goes everywhere. I also owned a Maita and now a BMW Z4 and Chev Truck and Yamaha FJR 1300 as well, but the Jeep is just more lovable and will go anywhere. I have owned Honda's, Toyota's (Tundra--bad truck)and many others and the Jeep is more reliable. What it does need is a better radio as the one that come with it is poor at best. Wonderful Vehicle to enjoy!

Short Steering Radius. Wonderful off road capabilities. Easy to park in the city. Reliability. The Crudeness and lack of pretension-- Yes This is a Positive!! FUN FUN FUN!

Needs better Radio. Original tires cupped badly. Replaced them with Wrangler Silent Armor and these are great tires. Easier top down operation would be great.