Used 2001 Jeep Wrangler SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

My favorite ride
By taggart

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep new in 2001 in Georgia. I have driven it twice to Moab Utah from Georgia once pulling a trailer with a Goldwing on it The little 4 cyl is a great engine. I have been on the highest rated Jeep trails here in Moab and this Jeep is a stock Jeep no lift kit. By far this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It may be a bit noisy at 75mph but hey, I have been in bad snow storms and downpours and always felt very secure. The Amber Fire paint job still looks great and at 120,000 it still preforms as it did when new. I replaced the rag top at 100,000 as well as the front brakes. It is simple to tune up and real fun to drive. I am totally into jeeping out here in the desert.

Favorite Features

The reliability, the off road handling and of course the overall look of the WW II Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage

solid 4x4
By twilliams

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new w/only ac. Put 2"lift on & 32" tires. This gave much better handling due to 15% stiffer spring rate. 2.5l sucks gas but is heavy 4x4 for its size. If you put larger tires on u must change the axle diff. Ratios. This will give you better performance, better mileage, and less strain on drivetrain. For a 4 cyl. I was amazed at what it would do off road w/open diffs. Granted I was running 4:56 ratio in axles but still, this vehicle truly shines off road. It has the best turning radius of any vehicle I have owned. Sold it @ 58,000 miles and never had a problem with it- off roading and all. Plus, it has the highest resale value - period. Beats them all.

Favorite Features

live axles, full frame, no electronic transfer case. true 4-wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

they already made them on the new jk wrangler. a little more expensive but worth every penny.

incredible vehicle
By juice1

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my jeep ten years ago the first day the 2001 models were at the dealership and it was the only smart thing I did in my twenties. In all this time i have only had to invest in oil changes, a new top, and a battery. The top and battery I just replaced last year! It doesn't handle like a sports car but it's no supposed to. if anyone is interested in reliable vehicles buy an older jeep and don't let go. It handles great and is a much better ride than the newer ones which I just bought (thanks Chrysler). It's dependable, fun, goes through anything, and it girls love it. What else is there to say

Favorite Features

great 4 wheel drive. comfortable. fun. simple, easy to maintain

Suggested Improvements

coated parts to reduce rust

It's a Jeep Thing
By Scott3249

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got this Wrangler in July of 2001 after my 98 Wrangler got total. Was surprise at the improvements to the top. Great SUV, not gonna win any MPG awards, but hey its a Jeep. I've put close to 90k miles on it and just replaced the radiator, was my fault for not flushing it out. Has been been a great jeep.

Favorite Features

Are you kidding me. Just an all around fun drive. Nothing like taking the top off and driving on a nice summer day.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade your wheels and tires to make it look a little better. Other than that. Nothing.

get one
By turtle

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

problem free since purchase, best car i ever own

Favorite Features

no roof turns great

Suggested Improvements

automatic top push button up it goes