2001 Jeep Wrangler SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2001 Wrangler Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Sort Reviews by

My forever Jeep
By tjinsaanich

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've bought it used the first day of 2007 at 72,000 KM and I haven't regret it once. I have made many mods to it and now it sport Aussie lockers, 3" lift with 31" MT, snorkel with Body spacer air intake, body armor all around with flat fender, Bush bumper with winch, striped down interior and a truck bed liner paint job. Needless to say it is an off-road machine but I also use it as my daily driver most days. My other vehicle is a VW Eurovan camper that is great and comfortable but it ain't my Jeep and if I had to choose I'd take the Jeep any day.

Favorite Features

I love the short wheel base, width and coil suspension makes this vehicle perfect for off-roading, it even took me on many ATV trails that other 4x4 (including the JK) could not manage. The turning radius is great and the mostly metal (mine is striped of most plastic components) make it a solid reliable 4x4. I rarely get stuck even before I put in lockers and often pull others out of a jam. It has a lot of torque and great compression for going downhill.

Suggested Improvements

The main con with this Jeep was in my opinion a little too much plastic when I first got it. I'm someone who appreciate a solid spartan truck like look and feel to a vehicle. And the top is somewhat awkward wether it be the hard top of soft top bot have their own issues. So I'm now using wrapped around Bikini top with wind jammer , Problem solved.

Most Versatile, Fun, Sexy, Reliable Vehicle Ever Built
By jamesdoolin

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Wrangler new in June 2001 and now have 193,000 miles as of Oct.2011 Still runs STRONG. I've used it to pull a 28' foot parasail in open fields. I own a boat rental business and have been pulling and towing 5000 pound trailers for years even though its only rated to pull 2500. Can take a while to stop with 5000 pounds behind you though :) I use my Wrangler for advertising, I've got a large removable neon sign hanging between the roll bars in the back! Love to take the top down and the doors off and blast my music! Did a little 4x4 early on and it can handle it. Ice, snow, beach, no problem. Wranglers are great fun, if you don't like em then you're not fun. I'll keep mine 4ever.

Favorite Features

Favorites include soft top and removable doors. Some reviews/people say the top is hard to put up and down. Not really true, there are specific steps that you just have to follow and do it in the right order. Otherwise, you can struggle with it a bit. Temperature also affects this... warm temps make it easier because the fabric stretches a little more and cold temps the fabric tightens up making it harder. Doors literally lift off the hinges in 2 seconds. Extremely versatile vehicle with lots of modifications and customizations available. If stuck in traffic on the Interstate I can jump off road to the service road with ease. Wrangler is part of a life style, you have a reason for owning it

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better. 17city/19highway is average. But I would NOT sacrifice hp or torque for better mileage. A removable back seat might be nice, just to have extra room when needed. The 2001 Wranglers just fold forward, but not removable. I hear the newer models 2008 and up went to a V6 instead of keeping the inline-6 like have. I'm told this results in a slight loss of power and towing capability. I love my 2001 Wrangler! I wish I could have afforded to buy 2 at the time. I take mine to the dealer every 3000 miles for oil change. Have kept every receipt in a well organized binder since day 1. Plan to get 500,000 miles out of this Wrangler, only 300k to go.

My favorite ride
By taggart

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep new in 2001 in Georgia. I have driven it twice to Moab Utah from Georgia once pulling a trailer with a Goldwing on it The little 4 cyl is a great engine. I have been on the highest rated Jeep trails here in Moab and this Jeep is a stock Jeep no lift kit. By far this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It may be a bit noisy at 75mph but hey, I have been in bad snow storms and downpours and always felt very secure. The Amber Fire paint job still looks great and at 120,000 it still preforms as it did when new. I replaced the rag top at 100,000 as well as the front brakes. It is simple to tune up and real fun to drive. I am totally into jeeping out here in the desert.

Favorite Features

The reliability, the off road handling and of course the overall look of the WW II Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage

solid 4x4
By twilliams

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new w/only ac. Put 2"lift on & 32" tires. This gave much better handling due to 15% stiffer spring rate. 2.5l sucks gas but is heavy 4x4 for its size. If you put larger tires on u must change the axle diff. Ratios. This will give you better performance, better mileage, and less strain on drivetrain. For a 4 cyl. I was amazed at what it would do off road w/open diffs. Granted I was running 4:56 ratio in axles but still, this vehicle truly shines off road. It has the best turning radius of any vehicle I have owned. Sold it @ 58,000 miles and never had a problem with it- off roading and all. Plus, it has the highest resale value - period. Beats them all.

Favorite Features

live axles, full frame, no electronic transfer case. true 4-wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

they already made them on the new jk wrangler. a little more expensive but worth every penny.

Loving my jeep
By alex

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this jeep for about a 1 1/2 years now. It replaced my cj7.This has to be the best all around veh I have owned. As far as comfort (it's a jeep) not built for that. It's a fun no nonsense type veh. I did replace the fan to an electrical type.Installed Banks cold air intake, mickey thompson rims and tires (15X33.12.50) and a 4 inch lift with one inch body lift. Reliability has been great. I love this truck and I recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

I would say the removable top! the ageless design, and all that you can do with it.

Suggested Improvements

a better and easier way to remove the top better gas mileage.

a go any where vehicle
By 60885

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a senior. In year 2001, we had a bad snow storm. I had to abandon my Volvo and started to walk the 3 miles home. A guy in a jeep gave me a ride. I was so impressed I went and bought a Wrangler. 60yr anniversary for Jeep and same for me. I still have it. I love it and can't part with it. Got less than 60K miles on it. It bounces and it jounces, my wife hates it, the dealership wants me to trade it (they're salivating) but I can go on the beach, cast to the surf and enjoy my retirement.

Favorite Features

True 4 wheel drive. Removable hard top to soft. Adoptability to after market accessories ( roof rack, front hitch receiver, fishing pole holders) and little fear of bumps and dings in parking lots and airport long term parking lots

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the top bumper fogs and the drop down tail gate. The soft top connection to the rear gate is real pain. Can not easily access the rear compartment without a hassle.

incredible vehicle
By juice1

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my jeep ten years ago the first day the 2001 models were at the dealership and it was the only smart thing I did in my twenties. In all this time i have only had to invest in oil changes, a new top, and a battery. The top and battery I just replaced last year! It doesn't handle like a sports car but it's no supposed to. if anyone is interested in reliable vehicles buy an older jeep and don't let go. It handles great and is a much better ride than the newer ones which I just bought (thanks Chrysler). It's dependable, fun, goes through anything, and it girls love it. What else is there to say

Favorite Features

great 4 wheel drive. comfortable. fun. simple, easy to maintain

Suggested Improvements

coated parts to reduce rust

Over 100,000
By jrjeep

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought/ordered this Jeep from the factory in 2001. I have both tops and have installed a 4 inch lift kit and have 33 inch tires on it. It has been a great vehicle that takes me anywhere I want to go. I have had absolutely no trouble with the Jeep. I'm still on the original battery too. The only parts I have put on is brakes. It has been driven on numerous long trips Ex. (North Carolina to El Paso, Texas)and been trouble free. It's not the most comfortable ride, but it's reliable.

Favorite Features

Too many to list. The 4.0 inline 6 has lots of torque and of course it's a convertible that goes anywhere you point it.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

Super Reliable and Fun Vehicle
By Overgaardman

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

What a great vehicle! This thing is fun and totally reliable. I have over 51,000 mile on it and it even has the original battery!! In Arizona about 3 years is the normal life for a battery. I read consumer report which of course finds this to be a CRUDE SUV. These people just don't get it. I love this thing and it goes everywhere. I also owned a Maita and now a BMW Z4 and Chev Truck and Yamaha FJR 1300 as well, but the Jeep is just more lovable and will go anywhere. I have owned Honda's, Toyota's (Tundra--bad truck)and many others and the Jeep is more reliable. What it does need is a better radio as the one that come with it is poor at best. Wonderful Vehicle to enjoy!

Favorite Features

Short Steering Radius. Wonderful off road capabilities. Easy to park in the city. Reliability. The Crudeness and lack of pretension-- Yes This is a Positive!! FUN FUN FUN!

Suggested Improvements

Needs better Radio. Original tires cupped badly. Replaced them with Wrangler Silent Armor and these are great tires. Easier top down operation would be great.

It's a Jeep Thing
By Scott3249

2001 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got this Wrangler in July of 2001 after my 98 Wrangler got total. Was surprise at the improvements to the top. Great SUV, not gonna win any MPG awards, but hey its a Jeep. I've put close to 90k miles on it and just replaced the radiator, was my fault for not flushing it out. Has been been a great jeep.

Favorite Features

Are you kidding me. Just an all around fun drive. Nothing like taking the top off and driving on a nice summer day.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade your wheels and tires to make it look a little better. Other than that. Nothing.