Used 2000 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Most Helpful|
JEEPS
By a.m.rowland

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep & I've never had a problem with it!

2000 Wrangler Sahara
By Jeffrey Morris

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I've owned 3 Jeeps - the others being a 1993 Cherokee and a 2002 Grand Cherokee. The Wrangler is the only one I own now, for almost 7 years. It is mechanically well built, with very little drivetrain repair being needed. I have replaced a starter (warranty) and paid for a new muffler, wiper motor, and various wear items (brakes, serpertine belt). I tend to leave the top down in the summer. One year the steering column filled with water during a rain storm resulting in almost $1K in repairs needed - in the warranty period, but not covered. I have since been more careful to put a trash bag over the column when the top is down. I bought a 2006 Chrysler 300 sedan and kept the Jeep as a fun vehicle.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, especially with the top down. Can take me places no car could. Short wheelbase is great for parking, U-turns. Great to run around in on the weekend, but not as a high-speed commuter.

Suggested Improvements

Poor gas mileage - goes with all Jeeps, no surprise there. Interior electronics should be waterproofed better. Lots of vibration at interstate speeds, best to keep the speed below 50 MPH (i.e., not really suited for the highway). Not recommended as a commute vehicle. 3/36 warranty is too short.

most reliable & fun car
By Mario

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jeep used about 7 years ago with 25.000 miles on it. Currently have about 110.000 miles on it and only spent about 300 usd in repairs which were minor ones. This is by far the most reliable and fun vehicle. Use it as a daily driver (about 37 miles round trip to work). Lifted it and put bigger tires on it. Obviously the noise level and comfort are not the best but hey it is a Jeep. Put Herculiner in (carpet out) and can clean the inside with a water hose. Enough space in the back for my big dog. Will keep this car forever and if necessary as a second car. Absolutely highly recommended.

Favorite Features

go completely naked (no top, no doors) - the only true convertible. 4x4 (even I don't have to use that often), selection aftermarket parts

Suggested Improvements

offer a diesel engine. Would buy a new one if that would be an option. Otherwise I drive mine until it dies.

Great for off the high way
By marimara

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Loved it until I moved away and had to drive hard on the express ways. Not built for that. No pull. You can push it and it will make it eventually. Driving this car is a unique experience from other vehicles. Fun? Yeah! For Routine Driving? Not! It's a TOY. Soft tops and zippered windows become a drag in the winter time. Certainly a warmer climate and off high way car.

Favorite Features

top down in the summer time, feeling the road, if you get caught in the rain with the top down, just let out the water with the release plugs on the floor and nothing get ruined

Suggested Improvements

Better soft tops to make it easier. better gas usage. but what the hell, it's a great car!

14 Years, 160,000 Miles and Still Love It
By mbb624

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This site is full of people complaining about their ride, so I thought I'd put the good word in on my trusty Jeep. It's the ultimate "do everything" ride. Well-behaved except with high winds, great in the snow or marginal conditions, getting to hiking trails on crap roads. I take care of my vehicles and this Jeep has paid be back with outstanding reliability. It's not the most comfortable, nor very quiet but that's not why you buy a Wrangler!

Favorite Features

Top off, doors off, summer time and the living is good!

Suggested Improvements

(1) Fenders rust out - fixed in newer models - they are now plastic. (2) Put a headliner in the hard top. An inexpensive way to cut the road noise.