Used 2000 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Great vehicle guaranteed to get you from A to B
By Ben

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is very rugged and can handle about anything. I have used and abused it and always works great. I don't like how the A/C system is not too cold and this is bad when you are offroading. Most of the time my top is down, which is also a hassle. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have fun driving!

Offroading capabilities, ability to take off doors and top, height.

Better HVAC system, better electrical system, more comfortable seats.

Durability = Jeep Wrangler
By Kay

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the most durable vehicle I have ever owned. After about 5 years the oil sending unit had to be replaced which was about $200. Other than that it has been great. I realize the gas mileage is not good, but that's something you find out BEFORE you make a purchase. I absolutely love the short wheel base. That makes parking and getting places a lot easier. I have grown accustomed to the road noise, and that really isn't a problem since the kids are grown and I ride by myself most of the time. Obviously these vehicles are made to be driven hard, because you can't beat the low maintenance on this vehicle.

The short wheel base is awesome - you never have a problem getting into a parking place. The low maintenance on this vehicle is fantastic. I replaced the oil sending unit a couple of years ago, and that's pretty much it.

The poor gas mileage is my biggest complaint, but it's understandable with the non-aerodynamic shape and the rag top. You can't drive it fast on a windy day, but who needs to speed.

A Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand
By forever jeep

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

For those that complain about mpg or comfort in this Jeep, then you bought it for the wrong reasons. I have had my Wrangler for 5.5 years now. For the first five years it was my primary vehicle and I loved it! The top down, sun on your face and enjoying the summer. I have done so much to mine, and I can't stop! Lift, 33" tires, winch in the front and lights everywhere. It is the definition of SUMMER! Our first baby is due in April and I could have traded it in and bought a new F150 or fancy car, but I just couldn't part with this JEEP. So I bought a commuter car for the me and the baby and that still allows me to drive my Jeep in the summer. People think I am crazy ... except JEEP owners!

EVERYTHING! At the time it was a new interior. The straight six cylinder will last forever. I have 85,000 miles on mine and a buddy has over 130,000 on his and no major problems. The exterior is a identifiable as any vehicle out there. If you want to enjoy your summer and youth, get a JEEP!

A few minor ones that make me wonder since they have been building these for so long. MAKE FENDER FLARES THAT SO NOT FADE! Have tougher carpeting as a purchase option or standard with rubber mats. Second purchase on replacement carpet. Good thing it doesn't cost much.

Jeep - Yes, Chrysler - oh no
By Max

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Style: Lucky me - 2000 Wrangler in Desert Sand Pearl (like the one shown) is the best Jeep design ever. Liked by kids from 0 to 100 and up. Jeep did not cut any corners making body panels "more technological". Was it the last steel-grille, steel-bumper in production? Drive: I wish it had an all-time 4x4. Spins at rabbit starts on wet road in 4x2 at once. The rest is - King of the Hill!! Failure: Now, 'Chrysler' steps in to make the beauty of worst ingredients. A rusty piece of door chipped off on 11th month. Front rotors replaced at 9K miles. Rear differential broke at 14K. Front wheel joints worn at 20K. Both front stabilizer bar rods broke apart at 30K, no offroading. Water pump gone at 50K.

Style. Huge cargo capacity for the size - fold the top and carry a fridge. Sense of protection on the road - "don't mess with a Wrangler - it's a steel one". Weather rigors are all discounted.

More quality ingredients . The paint should not chip, and drivetrain metal fail. Chrysler, please don't save on the steel grade! Now, it's the year 2007, and the new style appears inferior to the 1997-2006 icon. The grille is suspiciously plastic. Will miss it if ever sell.

Love it and Hate it
By Jake

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Had my Sahara since Feb. of 2000. Has 85,000 miles on it. Have had to replace the differential and the axle seals (twice). Probably have spent about $2k in replacement maintenance since purchase. Biggest complaint is noise! I have both the soft and hard top, unbearable on highway with soft, mostly unbearable with hard top. Can't even have a conversation with the other passenger. Guzzles gas like an F150 at half the size! But put the top down and drive it in the mountains, heaven.

Go anywhere!