2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Nice toy but not much else
By umco20 on 05/11/10 10:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Rides awful. Poor MPG. Poor build quality. Water pump failed, A/C failed, poor interior. Awful transmission, laud and rough. No room inside. However, it is great at open air off roading and cool to have. Not recommended as a daily driver.

Outstanding Vehicle
By TC Schmidt on 06/29/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

First Jeep I have owned. Hwy driving provides 20-22 mpg at 65mph. Virtually zero maintenance problems. Easy handling in tight spaces and turns on a dime. Noisy on the highway with softop but very quite with hardtop. Transmission shifts very smoothly and plenty of compliments received regarding the exterior and interior design. Fun to drive.

Best vehicle ever!
By Jake88 on 06/11/08 00:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle brand new in 2000. I traded in my trusty old 88 Toyota Pickup for this, and I'm not looking back. The build quality is perfect, the ride is actually smoother then my truck was, and it's a lot quieter. The A/C works great, even in 110 degree weather! The 4.0 6cyl. is a torque monster, and loves to move this Jeep up to speed quickly! Off-road it's THE best vehicle, unbeatable! After 160k miles, the only thing I've replaced is the water pump. My only gripes about it are the 3 speed auto, which can bog it down going up hills, and a weak sound system.

2000 Wrangler Sahara
By Jeffrey Morris on 04/30/06 19:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I've owned 3 Jeeps - the others being a 1993 Cherokee and a 2002 Grand Cherokee. The Wrangler is the only one I own now, for almost 7 years. It is mechanically well built, with very little drivetrain repair being needed. I have replaced a starter (warranty) and paid for a new muffler, wiper motor, and various wear items (brakes, serpertine belt). I tend to leave the top down in the summer. One year the steering column filled with water during a rain storm resulting in almost $1K in repairs needed - in the warranty period, but not covered. I have since been more careful to put a trash bag over the column when the top is down. I bought a 2006 Chrysler 300 sedan and kept the Jeep as a fun vehicle.

Durability = Jeep Wrangler
By Kay on 02/20/06 15:53 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the most durable vehicle I have ever owned. After about 5 years the oil sending unit had to be replaced which was about $200. Other than that it has been great. I realize the gas mileage is not good, but that's something you find out BEFORE you make a purchase. I absolutely love the short wheel base. That makes parking and getting places a lot easier. I have grown accustomed to the road noise, and that really isn't a problem since the kids are grown and I ride by myself most of the time. Obviously these vehicles are made to be driven hard, because you can't beat the low maintenance on this vehicle.

Love it and Hate it
By Jake on 09/20/05 18:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Had my Sahara since Feb. of 2000. Has 85,000 miles on it. Have had to replace the differential and the axle seals (twice). Probably have spent about $2k in replacement maintenance since purchase. Biggest complaint is noise! I have both the soft and hard top, unbearable on highway with soft, mostly unbearable with hard top. Can't even have a conversation with the other passenger. Guzzles gas like an F150 at half the size! But put the top down and drive it in the mountains, heaven.

I've got my dream
By Cortland Marix on 02/16/05 23:51 PM (PST)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

All my life I've dreamed of owning a Jeep Wrangler. Now that I have one I'll never let it go. Its go-anywhere capability is an understatement. I installed a MileMarker winch on it and was actually able to pull out a 12,000 lb. dump truck with a full load! The gas mileage is a small sacrifice for the fun and freedom of this vehicle.

Its A Jeep Thing
By Jeepin1 on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Number 2. This is my second one and after i sold the first one i couldn't wait to buy number two. I had and SE first now a sahara. Its great never a problem yet. I miss my hardtop on number one though. Definately Reccomend that.

Good SECOND vehicle
By PaulF on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep is defintely not a vehicle for someone who needs daily transportation. The gas mileage is horrible!!! The wind noise on the highway is also really bad. It is a lot of fun on the weekend when I take it to the mountains though. Overall, I could not reccommend it to a friend, which is probably why I drive it less than 5000 miles a year. Buy a FourRunner if you need an offroad machine with good manners.

Plastic lock boxes
By Marko1974 on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

42,000 miles and only change the oil. Everything is solid except....silly me, thinking that the OEM plastic glove box and console locks would keep a third grader out. Some homeless guy ripped them both open in a few seconds. I installed Tuffy steal boxes in their place and they held with only some slight bending to the console lock after another attempted breakin.