Used 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Most Helpful|
It's a Jeep Thing!
By Brbnkseaj

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Other than having the check engine light come on the day I drove it off the lot, my Jeep has never had to be repaired for anything that wasn't self-inflicted. I am amazed at how much abuse it can take when I go off-roading. It is very fun to drive, and easy to customize. There are downsides, though. You really need to buy aftermarket security products if you have a soft top. My original soft top made a LOT of noise on the highway and when it was windy, and it wore out after five years. But I replaced it with a sailcloth top, which was easy to install and pretty quiet when driving under 60mph. It is also tricky to drive on the highway, especially in the rain. Good tires are a must.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, off-road capability, style, reliability, simplicity, aftermarket accessories.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rests on the windows where they attach to the half doors. Bigger visors. Power mirrors mounted somewhere other than the removable door. Easy hookups for fog lights and other electrical accessories. Let the back seat slide back when it is folded down, and let the front seats slide back more.

14 Years, 160,000 Miles and Still Love It
By mbb624

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This site is full of people complaining about their ride, so I thought I'd put the good word in on my trusty Jeep. It's the ultimate "do everything" ride. Well-behaved except with high winds, great in the snow or marginal conditions, getting to hiking trails on crap roads. I take care of my vehicles and this Jeep has paid be back with outstanding reliability. It's not the most comfortable, nor very quiet but that's not why you buy a Wrangler!

Favorite Features

Top off, doors off, summer time and the living is good!

Suggested Improvements

(1) Fenders rust out - fixed in newer models - they are now plastic. (2) Put a headliner in the hard top. An inexpensive way to cut the road noise.

Loss of a friend
By The Surfer

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

The Jeep gave me 8 years of great fun. Both my daughter and son learned to drive a manual on this car. Original clutch with 149,000 miles. Great summer fun vehicle wish it hadn't been totaled. I would buy another one in a second. Great fun vehicle. Nothing major in 4 years of ownership. Very easy to work on reasonable parts cost and availability. Very reliable.

Favorite Features

Top down sun in your face wind in your hair driving. Ease of maintenance and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Slanted windshield so rocks don't break windshield as often.

most reliable & fun car
By Mario

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jeep used about 7 years ago with 25.000 miles on it. Currently have about 110.000 miles on it and only spent about 300 usd in repairs which were minor ones. This is by far the most reliable and fun vehicle. Use it as a daily driver (about 37 miles round trip to work). Lifted it and put bigger tires on it. Obviously the noise level and comfort are not the best but hey it is a Jeep. Put Herculiner in (carpet out) and can clean the inside with a water hose. Enough space in the back for my big dog. Will keep this car forever and if necessary as a second car. Absolutely highly recommended.

Favorite Features

go completely naked (no top, no doors) - the only true convertible. 4x4 (even I don't have to use that often), selection aftermarket parts

Suggested Improvements

offer a diesel engine. Would buy a new one if that would be an option. Otherwise I drive mine until it dies.

By Wm. Charles Smith

2000 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my 2000 Jeep wrangler for two years. With less than 7000 miles I have had to have the heater switch, rear-end, and radiator repaired or replaced. I am not a happy camper with Chrysler.

Favorite Features

I love to drive this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The drive train should last at least 200,000 miles.