Used 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2000 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Nice toy but not much else
By umco20

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Rides awful. Poor MPG. Poor build quality. Water pump failed, A/C failed, poor interior. Awful transmission, laud and rough. No room inside. However, it is great at open air off roading and cool to have. Not recommended as a daily driver.

Favorite Features

Soft top

Suggested Improvements

better ride better mpg for such a weak engine

Outstanding Vehicle
By TC Schmidt

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

First Jeep I have owned. Hwy driving provides 20-22 mpg at 65mph. Virtually zero maintenance problems. Easy handling in tight spaces and turns on a dime. Noisy on the highway with softop but very quite with hardtop. Transmission shifts very smoothly and plenty of compliments received regarding the exterior and interior design. Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Being a convertible. 4W drive in snow is great! 6 cyl is snappy with plenty of power. Great a/c.

Best vehicle ever!
By Jake88

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle brand new in 2000. I traded in my trusty old 88 Toyota Pickup for this, and I'm not looking back. The build quality is perfect, the ride is actually smoother then my truck was, and it's a lot quieter. The A/C works great, even in 110 degree weather! The 4.0 6cyl. is a torque monster, and loves to move this Jeep up to speed quickly! Off-road it's THE best vehicle, unbeatable! After 160k miles, the only thing I've replaced is the water pump. My only gripes about it are the 3 speed auto, which can bog it down going up hills, and a weak sound system.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, great turning radius, amazing off road performance, the whole vehicle is just built well! Thank you Jeep!

Suggested Improvements

All of the improvements I'd like to see have already happened. They put a 4 speed in 2003, and a better sound system in 2001.

2000 Wrangler Sahara
By Jeffrey Morris

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I've owned 3 Jeeps - the others being a 1993 Cherokee and a 2002 Grand Cherokee. The Wrangler is the only one I own now, for almost 7 years. It is mechanically well built, with very little drivetrain repair being needed. I have replaced a starter (warranty) and paid for a new muffler, wiper motor, and various wear items (brakes, serpertine belt). I tend to leave the top down in the summer. One year the steering column filled with water during a rain storm resulting in almost $1K in repairs needed - in the warranty period, but not covered. I have since been more careful to put a trash bag over the column when the top is down. I bought a 2006 Chrysler 300 sedan and kept the Jeep as a fun vehicle.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, especially with the top down. Can take me places no car could. Short wheelbase is great for parking, U-turns. Great to run around in on the weekend, but not as a high-speed commuter.

Suggested Improvements

Poor gas mileage - goes with all Jeeps, no surprise there. Interior electronics should be waterproofed better. Lots of vibration at interstate speeds, best to keep the speed below 50 MPH (i.e., not really suited for the highway). Not recommended as a commute vehicle. 3/36 warranty is too short.

Durability = Jeep Wrangler
By Kay

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the most durable vehicle I have ever owned. After about 5 years the oil sending unit had to be replaced which was about $200. Other than that it has been great. I realize the gas mileage is not good, but that's something you find out BEFORE you make a purchase. I absolutely love the short wheel base. That makes parking and getting places a lot easier. I have grown accustomed to the road noise, and that really isn't a problem since the kids are grown and I ride by myself most of the time. Obviously these vehicles are made to be driven hard, because you can't beat the low maintenance on this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The short wheel base is awesome - you never have a problem getting into a parking place. The low maintenance on this vehicle is fantastic. I replaced the oil sending unit a couple of years ago, and that's pretty much it.

Suggested Improvements

The poor gas mileage is my biggest complaint, but it's understandable with the non-aerodynamic shape and the rag top. You can't drive it fast on a windy day, but who needs to speed.