1999 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: Jeep Wrangler

1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

Sahara Convertible SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Jeep Wrangler
By thok06 on

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

If you want a fun weekend car, this is it. Taking the top down and driving around is loads of entertainment. It's one of the cheapest convertibles available. However, if you plan on using this for an everyday car, be prepared. The gas mileage is poor, especially for a small SUV. Reliability is no better, I had to have my exhaust manifold replaced at the dealership for $900. It cracked at just 45K miles. The interior is cheaply made. A/C knobs barely function. The ride is terrible and unstable. All this and I am at 55K. Security is nil: if it weren't for my hard top my car would be a playground for thieves. The hood doesn't lock, and I know a Wrangler owner who had her battery stolen

Normally I don't condone buying for looks; I'm a function over form person. However, your friends will love this car. As a convertible, driving is pleasurable at slow speeds, and still fun at 60mph. Easily modifiable for offroad enthusiasts; aftermarket parts are readily available. Good weekender.

Interior build quality needs significant improvement. Engine efficiency and performance need significant improvement. Feels unstable when turning, and add-a-trunk feature should be standard. Sound system is poor as well. Security is a huge issue; again, nothing is safe when left in it.