Used 1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

There's Only One!
By Fantastic Johnny

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Those looking for a soft ride and performance numbers need not apply. The Jeep is a harsh ride. It's noisy and brash. But it's a boatload of fun in the winter and the summer. I would never recommend the 4 cylinder without the manual transmission. It doesn't have enough ponies for an automatic transmission. I get on average about 20 mpg with 100K miles. I do quite a bit of highway traveling, and as long as you aware of the limitations of driving such a short vehicle at 70 mph, you'll be fine. Wind is about the only enemy of the Jeep. Strong Illinois winds bounce the Jeep around like a pinball, but you couldn't pay me to trade it in. This Jeep is mine until she dies. There's Only One!

Favorite Features

Utilitarian Design. Great in all weather. Good gas mileage for a 4x4. Waving to other Jeep owners.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system for those windy days. I wouldn't change a thing about the Jeep besides that. There are enough Suburban Utility Vehicles out there. Leave one for the common man.

My Baby
By BAS

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Except for a short wiring harness, which was fixed under warrenty. A rebult reverse brought on by severe weather and severe job requirements. A poor service department and an overstuffed sales man that was easily handled. NOT A ONE THING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. My wife , 1 daughter and 3 sons all will kill each other just to drive it.

Favorite Features

It's a jeep wrangler and its fully loaded, what else is there.

Suggested Improvements

Better wiper blades

great car, but not for everyday use
By Rsmitty

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Its obviously a Jeep. Theres no mistaken you are taking a ride in an offroad vehicle from the first time you enter it. I would have to agree with the others that this is not an everyday vehicle due to its poor performance on the highway. However, it more than does its job offroad. I think the suspension is perfect, I got my Jeep because of its capabilites, not for a plush ride. I have not had a single problem with it yet and its continues to impress me as a fun to drive vehicle. I would however, not be able to take it on the highway above 55 mph for any length of time. I would definetly buy another and would recommend it to everyone that wants to have fun.

Favorite Features

OFF-ROAD capabilites!!! it does its job, fun to drive around town, girls love it

Suggested Improvements

what about a bigger engine?..gas mileage can also be improved

Tub on wheels.
By Hubbard

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Unpretentious car that operates very well as a tub on wheels. Short turning radius and relatively high seating are big pluses. I also like the accessibility of the engine compartment and body parts. Highway noise above 55 mph, and poor fuel economy even for a 4 cylinder, are the negatives. Overall, I would buy it again, and am especially intrigued by the new model with an extended wheelbase and storage.

Favorite Features

High seating and right turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Noise reduction at highway speeds. A fuel-efficient Japanese engine.

I take the LONG way home now!!!!!
By orrelse

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

This was my first Wrangler so naturally I was apprehensive about the ride quality and the noise, but I'm pleasantly surprised at both. The interior is very comfortable and everything is laid out nicely. The ride is a little rough, but better than I expected. The soft top can be noisy at high speeds but for its purpose it is suitable. The engine is the 2.4L I4 and lacks any real get up and go for lots of highway driving, but for city driving it is powerful enough. If I were to do it over again, I'd buy the 6 cyl. model. Otherwise, like the title says, I intentionally find the long way home now--anything to spend more time driving my Jeep!!

Favorite Features

The classic look of a Jeep Wrangler. The true off-roading capabilities. This thing will go anywhere, snow, mud, you name it, the Wrangler can handle anything.

Suggested Improvements

The 2.4L I4 isn't quite powerful enough for highway speeds. On/off ramps can be aggravating and passing acceleration is next to nothing.