Used 1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

I Love It!
By TheBitman

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I absolutely love this vehicle! I ordered it from the factory with almost every option, and I haven't regretted it at all. It is the most fun to drive, dependable and versatile vehicle I have ever owned. I use it to commute every day, and then use it for working around the property on the weekends. I have driven it in all kinds of weather and it has never let me down. This little truck will go anywhere and do anything!

Favorite Features

Just plain fun! Easy to maneuver in tight spaces around town, enough get- up-and-go for the highway. 4.0L engine allows towing the boat. Go anywhere in the woods for hunting or whatever.

Suggested Improvements

Hard top on/off could be easier. Also the soft top up/down.

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
By greg

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

The initial model had a problem with the headers, which the manufacturer later replaced. I did my own with a Borla. This is the most reliable car that I have ever owned. Other than the header, it has never needed service (now has 60,000 mi., 11/05). After market upgrades are fun, and very worthwhile. Is very easy to self service. I wish that a diesel conversion was available! I have always wondered why the ratings have never been higher, except that everyone wants "fast and furious", (low end disposa-cars), instead of powerful, durable, rugged, and dependable. GO JEEP :)

Favorite Features

Aftermarket upgrades - brush guards, front and rear - lift kits - wider flares - off road lights - replacement bumpers - tops! etc.

Suggested Improvements

Offer in diesel.

Gotta Love Them
By Jeeper

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is my 4th Jeep Wrangler, and they just keep getting better. You can't beat them offroad, trust me. They will climb just about anything you put in front of it, and they are extremely dependable. The 4.0 six cylinder is very powerful, but it only gets around 17 mpg in city. I have owned Chevy, Dodge, and Toyotas, and you simply can't beat the toughness, dependability, and offroad ability of a Jeep. They are so much fun to drive, especially with the top down, and everyone is looking at you with envy. I'll always be a Jeep man. I think everyone should try one, and they'll be hooked too.

Favorite Features

Offroad ruggedness, Fun to drive, Reliability. Makes it's presence known on and off the road. Very strong 4.0 motor. Everything is easy to get to. Easy to get into tight spaces.

Suggested Improvements

Only one thing ... needs better gas mileage ... that's all.

JEEPS RULE
By mmora73

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Jeeps are not the average day vehicle. it takes a certain personality type to own one. i am sure everyone has heard the line" my friend owns a Jeep". there is hardly another vehicle I would invest the kind of money into that i did with mine. It is one of a kind. Hard to do with a four banger Mustang. Love my jeep since i drove it off the show room floor.

Favorite Features

Convertible. A/C. My stereo! 4x4. Upgrade parts all over the place. 3" lift ... 33" tires. 6 years old and still shines when it's clean.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo is not so good out of the box.

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6 cylinder
By chemboy74

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had this vehicle for 3 1/2 years now. I've taken it all over the place, from the rugged mountains and beaches of the Lake Superior northwoods at the height of winter, to the eastern Kansas foothills. It's a blast to drive and there isn't anyplace it won't go. I started driving it less when gas started to go up, and I've only put 3000 miles on it since January '05. You won't own a Jeep if you're concerned about ride comfort, and this one begs to be driven hard. Wear and tear has been comparable with every other car I've driven, So, whether you're looking for a nice ride about town, or trek across some difficult terrain and don't mind high gas prices, buy a Wrangler.

Favorite Features

4X4 and offroad capability, versatility, good combination of power (acceleration with 6 cylinder) and refined interior controls. Switchable top and of course, the image that goes along with being a Jeep owner!

Suggested Improvements

INCREASE THE MPG EFFICIENCY. I get 14-16 in the city, and 18-20 on the highway. What i wouldn't give to own a Jeep that could make 24/30 in that department.