Used 1999 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Most Helpful|
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6 cylinder
By chemboy74

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had this vehicle for 3 1/2 years now. I've taken it all over the place, from the rugged mountains and beaches of the Lake Superior northwoods at the height of winter, to the eastern Kansas foothills. It's a blast to drive and there isn't anyplace it won't go. I started driving it less when gas started to go up, and I've only put 3000 miles on it since January '05. You won't own a Jeep if you're concerned about ride comfort, and this one begs to be driven hard. Wear and tear has been comparable with every other car I've driven, So, whether you're looking for a nice ride about town, or trek across some difficult terrain and don't mind high gas prices, buy a Wrangler.

Favorite Features

4X4 and offroad capability, versatility, good combination of power (acceleration with 6 cylinder) and refined interior controls. Switchable top and of course, the image that goes along with being a Jeep owner!

Suggested Improvements

INCREASE THE MPG EFFICIENCY. I get 14-16 in the city, and 18-20 on the highway. What i wouldn't give to own a Jeep that could make 24/30 in that department.

Great 4x4
By Bradley

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep! It has plenty of power for such a small SUV. I have not added any custom parts but plan too. It rides and drive great. Gas mileage is not so good.

Favorite Features

The 4-wheel drive gets great traction.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage could use some improvements.

fun to drive and built tough
By John

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In my experience, a mechanically sound year for Jeep Wranglers. Had to replace sway bars twice in it's lifetime and the starter once. Also the connection to the speedometer and heating control had to be replaced during warranty due to corrosion from water leakage (left top down once during rain storm). Unfortunately, a local repair shop molested and murdered my first love. Go straight to the dealer or someone who knows Jeep clutches. If you love your jeep, 1. Don't machine the flywheel, just replace it with OEM parts 2. Same for the clutch kit, buy OEM parts just to be on the safe side.. 3. again, to the dealer.

Favorite Features

convertible, high suspension

Great Vehicle
By Anonymous

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive. No limits. I ordered mine just like I wanted it and it has been a surprisingly reliable, unstoppable vehicle. The gas mileage runs 16-20 mpg, not great but OK for what it does. Everyone loves this thing - it has been great fun to own. Yes, it's noisy on the highway, the ride is marginal if you put on good shocks and the tires are a bit pricey, but driving it, owning it makes you love it. They are wonderful. This model is the sweet spot in the Wrangler line. No leaf springs and still small enough to be an outstanding 4-wheeler, plus the iconic look that Wranglers are known for. Just perfect.

Favorite Features

Looks. Utility. Driveability. 4-liter straight six is one of the best engines around.

Suggested Improvements

It is what it is, the best out-of-the-box 4-wheeler that also manages to be a decent all-around vehicle. Pretty much perfect for what it is designed for.

The LOVE of my life
By bosjb1

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I first bought my Jeep in the spring of 2006 and have fallen in love many times over. There is nothing like owning a Wrangler - it's just a unique, incredible experience that only Wrangler owners can understand. I get giddy every time I see my topless Jeep basking in a warm, summer day - and so do my friends because they always love going for a cruise. In the winter, in 4WD, this thing is a beast and you can rip it around where ever you please. The soft top keeps you surprisingly warm and is an ease to flip up and down in the summer. I don't even bother putting my side or back windows on from May-Oct. 150k miles and the engine is as strong as when I first purchased it.

Favorite Features

Convertible, 4WD, all-area capabilities, no blind spots, driving down the highway with my foot outside on the door step, beasting.

Suggested Improvements

Tape/CD deck, more secure locks on center console and glove box, fuel economy.