Used 1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Jeep Wrangler
By thok06

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

If you want a fun weekend car, this is it. Taking the top down and driving around is loads of entertainment. It's one of the cheapest convertibles available. However, if you plan on using this for an everyday car, be prepared. The gas mileage is poor, especially for a small SUV. Reliability is no better, I had to have my exhaust manifold replaced at the dealership for $900. It cracked at just 45K miles. The interior is cheaply made. A/C knobs barely function. The ride is terrible and unstable. All this and I am at 55K. Security is nil: if it weren't for my hard top my car would be a playground for thieves. The hood doesn't lock, and I know a Wrangler owner who had her battery stolen

Favorite Features

Normally I don't condone buying for looks; I'm a function over form person. However, your friends will love this car. As a convertible, driving is pleasurable at slow speeds, and still fun at 60mph. Easily modifiable for offroad enthusiasts; aftermarket parts are readily available. Good weekender.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality needs significant improvement. Engine efficiency and performance need significant improvement. Feels unstable when turning, and add-a-trunk feature should be standard. Sound system is poor as well. Security is a huge issue; again, nothing is safe when left in it.

Love my jeep
By Deb

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new. I had it lifted and added lots of extras; it is so much fun to drive and it looks great. It always gets lots of looks wherever we go. I can go anywhere I want all year round snow, no road NO PROBLEM - it is a JEEP THING and if you don't own one YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!

Favorite Features

Cannot list - it is just fun.

Suggested Improvements

Mirrors that don't rust; don't try to make it a luxury; NO AUTOMATICS.

Maxjeep
By CannonBalls

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My 2nd Jeep, had a 1998 sold it, missed it...bad, had to go find a replacement. Best offroad vehicle I have ever driven. Love the go anywhere, do about anything attitude of the Jeep. No problems with this one or the other one. Really nice, fun vehicle. Can't wait to get it to Montana this July, going mountain climbing.

Favorite Features

4x4, go anywhere vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, stereo.

Fun Jeep Sahara
By lmm

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep is really fun to play around with during the winter and it is really reliable. I haven't got stuck yet and it preforms great. Plus they are the most fun to modify.

Favorite Features

31x11.50 tires, Vision rims, hopefully more to come.

Suggested Improvements

If you have a Jeep without bigger tires you aren't seeing how much more they perform and the look is way better. I would get a lift and bigger tires so it would perform better, and go through more. They look awesome when they are all decked out in a hardcore offroad look.

1999 Jeep Sahara
By rhicksmtb

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

What a great ride. My wife and kids always look forward to family time in the jeep. I and my buddies always look forward to pushing its limits off road. I purchased the Mile Marker 8000 winch (has worked flawlessly many times) but do not need it very often. I usually have to pull out someone else out. This is by far the best 4X4 I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Full time 4X4. Dual tops. Factory CD. Color, desert pearl.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.