1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
There's Only One!
By Fantastic Johnny on 03/23/05 15:28 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Those looking for a soft ride and performance numbers need not apply. The Jeep is a harsh ride. It's noisy and brash. But it's a boatload of fun in the winter and the summer. I would never recommend the 4 cylinder without the manual transmission. It doesn't have enough ponies for an automatic transmission. I get on average about 20 mpg with 100K miles. I do quite a bit of highway traveling, and as long as you aware of the limitations of driving such a short vehicle at 70 mph, you'll be fine. Wind is about the only enemy of the Jeep. Strong Illinois winds bounce the Jeep around like a pinball, but you couldn't pay me to trade it in. This Jeep is mine until she dies. There's Only One!

My Baby
By BAS on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Except for a short wiring harness, which was fixed under warrenty. A rebult reverse brought on by severe weather and severe job requirements. A poor service department and an overstuffed sales man that was easily handled. NOT A ONE THING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. My wife , 1 daughter and 3 sons all will kill each other just to drive it.

great car, but not for everyday use
By Rsmitty on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Its obviously a Jeep. Theres no mistaken you are taking a ride in an offroad vehicle from the first time you enter it. I would have to agree with the others that this is not an everyday vehicle due to its poor performance on the highway. However, it more than does its job offroad. I think the suspension is perfect, I got my Jeep because of its capabilites, not for a plush ride. I have not had a single problem with it yet and its continues to impress me as a fun to drive vehicle. I would however, not be able to take it on the highway above 55 mph for any length of time. I would definetly buy another and would recommend it to everyone that wants to have fun.

Tub on wheels.
By Hubbard on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Unpretentious car that operates very well as a tub on wheels. Short turning radius and relatively high seating are big pluses. I also like the accessibility of the engine compartment and body parts. Highway noise above 55 mph, and poor fuel economy even for a 4 cylinder, are the negatives. Overall, I would buy it again, and am especially intrigued by the new model with an extended wheelbase and storage.

I take the LONG way home now!!!!!
By orrelse on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

This was my first Wrangler so naturally I was apprehensive about the ride quality and the noise, but I'm pleasantly surprised at both. The interior is very comfortable and everything is laid out nicely. The ride is a little rough, but better than I expected. The soft top can be noisy at high speeds but for its purpose it is suitable. The engine is the 2.4L I4 and lacks any real get up and go for lots of highway driving, but for city driving it is powerful enough. If I were to do it over again, I'd buy the 6 cyl. model. Otherwise, like the title says, I intentionally find the long way home now--anything to spend more time driving my Jeep!!

Great if you know what your getting
By Marc Harris on 02/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

The power, ride, and highway mileage actually surpass my stock 4Runner! There are tons of support groups out there for upgrades/repairs. Tows my Bayliner Cuddy (2000lb) and handles the ramp great. This is smooth as silk in comparison to the old kidney buster ride. Hands down, this thing can walk through almost any terrain. Biggest plus, there are many suppliers for upgrades so its easy to make it your own! As for storage, you have to add a rack on the tail or top. Behind the rear seat just holds a set of speakers, shovel, and tow strap. Ive seen these roll end over end (off road) and driven home. Indestructible!

it is a jeep thing, TRY and understand
By trouble4you96 on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is my second jeep and i am now planning on buying my 3rd. most convincing story ... last winter in MD 38 inches of snow in one shot. no problem for me and my jeep , actually pulled out 28 other suv's for fun that weekend.

Go NO where capability
By DEEZ on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had the vehicle for more than 4 years now and am still having problems with it. I bought it with about 10 miles on it and have had nothing but problems with it. Some problems have occurred several times. 3 times the guages on the dash board have malfunctioned-the same amount of times the defroster linkage has disconnected to cause the defroster not to work-the transfer case was leaking fluid-the drivers seat broke-both exterior mirrors started shedding their paint-a stabalizer linkage arm seal burst in the front end. All of these problems occurred before 36,000 miles.

Love It!
By Jeepman on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Its a Jeep thing and you do have to understand. My only major issue was the awful stock tires they put on this Jeep. Other than a bad wire harness, no major complaints. Goes anywhere in any weather.

jeep review
By Mr Stone on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Really enjoy the vehicle, has hard and softtop