1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
The LOVE of my life
By bosjb1 on 01/23/12 17:16 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I first bought my Jeep in the spring of 2006 and have fallen in love many times over. There is nothing like owning a Wrangler - it's just a unique, incredible experience that only Wrangler owners can understand. I get giddy every time I see my topless Jeep basking in a warm, summer day - and so do my friends because they always love going for a cruise. In the winter, in 4WD, this thing is a beast and you can rip it around where ever you please. The soft top keeps you surprisingly warm and is an ease to flip up and down in the summer. I don't even bother putting my side or back windows on from May-Oct. 150k miles and the engine is as strong as when I first purchased it.

Great Vehicle
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive. No limits. I ordered mine just like I wanted it and it has been a surprisingly reliable, unstoppable vehicle. The gas mileage runs 16-20 mpg, not great but OK for what it does. Everyone loves this thing - it has been great fun to own. Yes, it's noisy on the highway, the ride is marginal if you put on good shocks and the tires are a bit pricey, but driving it, owning it makes you love it. They are wonderful. This model is the sweet spot in the Wrangler line. No leaf springs and still small enough to be an outstanding 4-wheeler, plus the iconic look that Wranglers are known for. Just perfect.

Only in a Jeep
By Huck on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've loved Jeeps for years and drove a CJ7 until it rusted out from under me. I bought this Wrangler used in 2002 with 27K and have loved every minute with it. It is rough to ride in, unrefined in almost every way and squirrely above 70 mph, but it's a Jeep and wonderful to take off road and on a Summer day with the top down and the doors off there's nothing like it. It's been fairly reliable, but I do take it off road, so it does get a work out. Some repair work, but it's not a money pit.

Had to experience the Fun side of Jeeps
By jan carlo on 04/26/09 18:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I was one of those day dreamers thinking that some distant day I was going to buy a Jeep Wrangler. Every day while driving to work or going to the mall I saw tons of Wranglers passing by my side and I always, I mean ALWAYS turned my head over to take a look at them. Guess what.. Now I own my Jeep and I still keep turning my head over to see the different Wranglers passing by. But now I noticed that my Wrangler is looked at by every single driver and that makes me smile. Now I know what it feels to OWN a Jeep Wrangler and it's really fun. I started to enjoy more my driving time.

fun to drive and built tough
By John on 02/19/09 23:02 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In my experience, a mechanically sound year for Jeep Wranglers. Had to replace sway bars twice in it's lifetime and the starter once. Also the connection to the speedometer and heating control had to be replaced during warranty due to corrosion from water leakage (left top down once during rain storm). Unfortunately, a local repair shop molested and murdered my first love. Go straight to the dealer or someone who knows Jeep clutches. If you love your jeep, 1. Don't machine the flywheel, just replace it with OEM parts 2. Same for the clutch kit, buy OEM parts just to be on the safe side.. 3. again, to the dealer.

Dependable & Fun
By Jeepn' on 01/29/09 08:38 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

We purchased our Jeep used from dealership 2002. Replaced heater blower switch, regular maint.always completed, repainted wheel flares. Vehicle mileage 91051. Runs great, no problems, very dependable. Handles great on highway and snow. Easy to put into 4WD. Love driving it. Just purchased another Wrangler, 4 door model this time, kept 2 door model for fun.

130K miles still on orig clutch!
By RyanZ on 08/04/08 21:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This is THE car you want to drive in the mountains dealing with snow, or the top off near the beach. The parts are cheap and abundant. You can fix everything yourself with a manual. They perform well on and off road.

Chrysler = Unreliable
By Driver on 12/26/07 07:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Used all highway, never offroad. Serviced only at Jeep dealerships. All maintenance in the owners manual followed on time. Has blown four rear differentials, numerous electrical problems with airbags, heater fan controls, lights, radio, turn signals etc. Radiator started literally coming apart at 4 years. Paint just started falling off after 3 years, all the plastic on the exterior faded white after two years. Seats splitting apart and seat belts coming apart at the seams after one year.

best car ever!
By debruins on 02/23/07 14:47 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep. First off though to improve performance and driveability I added lots of upgrades for the engine to get better performance, and better stability with much better shocks. I added lift and a winch and 33's as well as add a trunk, a Tuffy console, and a better sound system. It is now the perfect car. it does great on road for a JEEP and amazing off road. For those who don't get the Jeep thing it is too bad for you, buy a Land Rover.

Great fun and reliability!
By MonkeyMangler on 11/26/06 13:53 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This Jeep rocks! I used to have a 95 4 cylinder 5 speed. The 6 cylinder makes it much more practical. The interior is great, suspension flexes a lot off-road, and it's not slow like the 4 banger. The top is great comes down and up in much less time then the older models. Anyways, great vehicle, guaranteed fun!