Used 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Love it - Hate to see it go.
By Jeepers

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Jeep for 10 years now and I love it. No major mechanical problems, just the normal wear of driving it over 200,000 miles. It's not for the person who is looking for a quiet, smooth ride - it's a Jeep, it's built for fun and believe me it is. I have tested it off road only a handful of time over the years and that is where a Jeep is at it's best. Saw a couple of Hummers struggling through the same trails that I had no issues with. Great in winter and fun in the summer. The only complaint I have is it is not a family car and since I'm expecting a baby in a few months, I need to get something bigger - but I will get a Jeep again!!

Fun, Reliable, 4 wheel drive, Fun, easy to customize yourself, powerful...did I mention how much fun it is?

Lack of storage and fuel economy.

Fun but ...
By MichaelT

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Jeep since 2000 & 130K miles. It is a blast to drive. The 4.0 is bulletproof. I have had to replace several parts, transmission, transfer case, exhaust manifold, rear axle (3 times), & radiator. If you push this thing much off road you will have to replace something. Gas mileage is horrible, w/ 33" tires I am getting about 10 mpg in town. Aerodynamics are not helping gas mileage. Turning radius is tight. Not for long trips. Can't wait to get rid of mine.

Styling, off road performance, engine

Make the dana 44 rear axle standard, improve gas mileage, vinyl flooring

Built to last
By J.C. Allan

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had this third Jeep bought new in the swamps of Mississippi to the mountains of Utah. It has been a blast all the way. On one adventure my wife and I challenged ourselves to a 35 mile ORV trail in southern Utah and enjoyed skirting along a few mountains without difficulty. Having owned a few sports cars over the decades, including one with 12 cylinders, there is nothing more exhilarating as the freedom of getting off the beaten road and going were few dare.

Great 4x4
By Bradley

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep! It has plenty of power for such a small SUV. I have not added any custom parts but plan too. It rides and drive great. Gas mileage is not so good.

The 4-wheel drive gets great traction.

The gas mileage could use some improvements.

Jeep Wrangler
By thok06

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

If you want a fun weekend car, this is it. Taking the top down and driving around is loads of entertainment. It's one of the cheapest convertibles available. However, if you plan on using this for an everyday car, be prepared. The gas mileage is poor, especially for a small SUV. Reliability is no better, I had to have my exhaust manifold replaced at the dealership for $900. It cracked at just 45K miles. The interior is cheaply made. A/C knobs barely function. The ride is terrible and unstable. All this and I am at 55K. Security is nil: if it weren't for my hard top my car would be a playground for thieves. The hood doesn't lock, and I know a Wrangler owner who had her battery stolen

Normally I don't condone buying for looks; I'm a function over form person. However, your friends will love this car. As a convertible, driving is pleasurable at slow speeds, and still fun at 60mph. Easily modifiable for offroad enthusiasts; aftermarket parts are readily available. Good weekender.

Interior build quality needs significant improvement. Engine efficiency and performance need significant improvement. Feels unstable when turning, and add-a-trunk feature should be standard. Sound system is poor as well. Security is a huge issue; again, nothing is safe when left in it.