Used 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

The LOVE of my life
By bosjb1

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I first bought my Jeep in the spring of 2006 and have fallen in love many times over. There is nothing like owning a Wrangler - it's just a unique, incredible experience that only Wrangler owners can understand. I get giddy every time I see my topless Jeep basking in a warm, summer day - and so do my friends because they always love going for a cruise. In the winter, in 4WD, this thing is a beast and you can rip it around where ever you please. The soft top keeps you surprisingly warm and is an ease to flip up and down in the summer. I don't even bother putting my side or back windows on from May-Oct. 150k miles and the engine is as strong as when I first purchased it.

Favorite Features

Convertible, 4WD, all-area capabilities, no blind spots, driving down the highway with my foot outside on the door step, beasting.

Suggested Improvements

Tape/CD deck, more secure locks on center console and glove box, fuel economy.

Great Vehicle
By Anonymous

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive. No limits. I ordered mine just like I wanted it and it has been a surprisingly reliable, unstoppable vehicle. The gas mileage runs 16-20 mpg, not great but OK for what it does. Everyone loves this thing - it has been great fun to own. Yes, it's noisy on the highway, the ride is marginal if you put on good shocks and the tires are a bit pricey, but driving it, owning it makes you love it. They are wonderful. This model is the sweet spot in the Wrangler line. No leaf springs and still small enough to be an outstanding 4-wheeler, plus the iconic look that Wranglers are known for. Just perfect.

Favorite Features

Looks. Utility. Driveability. 4-liter straight six is one of the best engines around.

Suggested Improvements

It is what it is, the best out-of-the-box 4-wheeler that also manages to be a decent all-around vehicle. Pretty much perfect for what it is designed for.

Only in a Jeep
By Huck

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've loved Jeeps for years and drove a CJ7 until it rusted out from under me. I bought this Wrangler used in 2002 with 27K and have loved every minute with it. It is rough to ride in, unrefined in almost every way and squirrely above 70 mph, but it's a Jeep and wonderful to take off road and on a Summer day with the top down and the doors off there's nothing like it. It's been fairly reliable, but I do take it off road, so it does get a work out. Some repair work, but it's not a money pit.

Favorite Features

Rough ride, doors that come off, removable top, off-road prowess

Suggested Improvements

Drifts at the slightest breeze at interstate speeds and is absolutely terrifying on snow or ice without the 4WD engaged

Had to experience the Fun side of Jeeps
By jan carlo

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I was one of those day dreamers thinking that some distant day I was going to buy a Jeep Wrangler. Every day while driving to work or going to the mall I saw tons of Wranglers passing by my side and I always, I mean ALWAYS turned my head over to take a look at them. Guess what.. Now I own my Jeep and I still keep turning my head over to see the different Wranglers passing by. But now I noticed that my Wrangler is looked at by every single driver and that makes me smile. Now I know what it feels to OWN a Jeep Wrangler and it's really fun. I started to enjoy more my driving time.

Favorite Features

4" lift kit, 35" over sized tires. Manual transmission (makes a huge difference), Unique body style and specially that my kid LOVES it...

Suggested Improvements

Improve those areas that tend to rust on the bodyframe. Hybrid Engine.

fun to drive and built tough
By John

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In my experience, a mechanically sound year for Jeep Wranglers. Had to replace sway bars twice in it's lifetime and the starter once. Also the connection to the speedometer and heating control had to be replaced during warranty due to corrosion from water leakage (left top down once during rain storm). Unfortunately, a local repair shop molested and murdered my first love. Go straight to the dealer or someone who knows Jeep clutches. If you love your jeep, 1. Don't machine the flywheel, just replace it with OEM parts 2. Same for the clutch kit, buy OEM parts just to be on the safe side.. 3. again, to the dealer.

Favorite Features

convertible, high suspension