1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
better than my wife
By dlemmon1 on 01/01/11 19:31 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

i love my jeep, it has been everywhere with me, from Colorado, Oklahoma, an Tennessee. love going offroad, put on all kinds of accessories, been very reliable. i fell into a ditch and flooded the engine, busted all kinds of things up, and its still goin strong. easy to work on and way fun to drive. not a family car in the winter but in the summers my sons love it.

Beware: fun but unreliable
By Fun but unreliable on 09/18/08 16:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Purchased '99 Wrangler in 2004. In '06 engine dropped a rod with 127K miles. Replaced engine and it has been nothing but problems since. It's embarrassing how much money I've spent on maintaining this vehicle. I LOVE driving it but the last few years have been a major disappointment

It's a Jeep, can't complain
By bob on 10/30/07 19:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive year round. I took it mudding and not have have it in four wheel drive. It a Jeep can do about anything

Best 8 years of my Life!
By Nancy on 03/13/07 09:49 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have enjoyed owning this Jeep so much. The only reason I can see to sell it is I don't recommend putting car seats in it. I loved it in the winter as well as the summer. It's 4 wheel drive, so I never had problems getting where I needed to be. Not even in a blizzard! It's so fun owning a Jeep, especially when you have a hard top, soft top as well as a bikini top. I recommend it to everyone, except if you have an infant to tool around with.

this Jeep is worth any price
By luvshisjeep99 on 03/04/07 12:46 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this jeep as my second car. I had a Mazda but it was about to die and I didn't like it all that much. I bought this Jeep and i love it. It's a go anywhere do anything vehicle with so many options it will leave your head spinning. All of my friends and family love it and it's reliable. Plus the insurance is the exact same as it was on my last car. Overall I love it to death.

There's Only One!
By Fantastic Johnny on 03/23/05 15:28 PM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Those looking for a soft ride and performance numbers need not apply. The Jeep is a harsh ride. It's noisy and brash. But it's a boatload of fun in the winter and the summer. I would never recommend the 4 cylinder without the manual transmission. It doesn't have enough ponies for an automatic transmission. I get on average about 20 mpg with 100K miles. I do quite a bit of highway traveling, and as long as you aware of the limitations of driving such a short vehicle at 70 mph, you'll be fine. Wind is about the only enemy of the Jeep. Strong Illinois winds bounce the Jeep around like a pinball, but you couldn't pay me to trade it in. This Jeep is mine until she dies. There's Only One!

great car, but not for everyday use
By Rsmitty on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Its obviously a Jeep. Theres no mistaken you are taking a ride in an offroad vehicle from the first time you enter it. I would have to agree with the others that this is not an everyday vehicle due to its poor performance on the highway. However, it more than does its job offroad. I think the suspension is perfect, I got my Jeep because of its capabilites, not for a plush ride. I have not had a single problem with it yet and its continues to impress me as a fun to drive vehicle. I would however, not be able to take it on the highway above 55 mph for any length of time. I would definetly buy another and would recommend it to everyone that wants to have fun.

Tub on wheels.
By Hubbard on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Unpretentious car that operates very well as a tub on wheels. Short turning radius and relatively high seating are big pluses. I also like the accessibility of the engine compartment and body parts. Highway noise above 55 mph, and poor fuel economy even for a 4 cylinder, are the negatives. Overall, I would buy it again, and am especially intrigued by the new model with an extended wheelbase and storage.

I take the LONG way home now!!!!!
By orrelse on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

This was my first Wrangler so naturally I was apprehensive about the ride quality and the noise, but I'm pleasantly surprised at both. The interior is very comfortable and everything is laid out nicely. The ride is a little rough, but better than I expected. The soft top can be noisy at high speeds but for its purpose it is suitable. The engine is the 2.4L I4 and lacks any real get up and go for lots of highway driving, but for city driving it is powerful enough. If I were to do it over again, I'd buy the 6 cyl. model. Otherwise, like the title says, I intentionally find the long way home now--anything to spend more time driving my Jeep!!

Fun, But get old
By Shaxar on 06/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '99 Jeep used in Feb of 2000, right in the middle of winter. They actually stay warmer int the winter than most think. It was great at first, but over time, you get sick of felling every bump in the road. The engine leaves much to be desired. It does have it's good days where it feels like it's as fast as any other car, but mostly it's slow, and not very good gas mileage either. It's a great car, but wouldn't recommend it for everyday use.