Used 1999 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

The LOVE of my life
By bosjb1

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I first bought my Jeep in the spring of 2006 and have fallen in love many times over. There is nothing like owning a Wrangler - it's just a unique, incredible experience that only Wrangler owners can understand. I get giddy every time I see my topless Jeep basking in a warm, summer day - and so do my friends because they always love going for a cruise. In the winter, in 4WD, this thing is a beast and you can rip it around where ever you please. The soft top keeps you surprisingly warm and is an ease to flip up and down in the summer. I don't even bother putting my side or back windows on from May-Oct. 150k miles and the engine is as strong as when I first purchased it.

Favorite Features

Convertible, 4WD, all-area capabilities, no blind spots, driving down the highway with my foot outside on the door step, beasting.

Suggested Improvements

Tape/CD deck, more secure locks on center console and glove box, fuel economy.

better than my wife
By dlemmon1

1999 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

i love my jeep, it has been everywhere with me, from Colorado, Oklahoma, an Tennessee. love going offroad, put on all kinds of accessories, been very reliable. i fell into a ditch and flooded the engine, busted all kinds of things up, and its still goin strong. easy to work on and way fun to drive. not a family car in the winter but in the summers my sons love it.

Great Vehicle
By Anonymous

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Fun to drive. No limits. I ordered mine just like I wanted it and it has been a surprisingly reliable, unstoppable vehicle. The gas mileage runs 16-20 mpg, not great but OK for what it does. Everyone loves this thing - it has been great fun to own. Yes, it's noisy on the highway, the ride is marginal if you put on good shocks and the tires are a bit pricey, but driving it, owning it makes you love it. They are wonderful. This model is the sweet spot in the Wrangler line. No leaf springs and still small enough to be an outstanding 4-wheeler, plus the iconic look that Wranglers are known for. Just perfect.

Favorite Features

Looks. Utility. Driveability. 4-liter straight six is one of the best engines around.

Suggested Improvements

It is what it is, the best out-of-the-box 4-wheeler that also manages to be a decent all-around vehicle. Pretty much perfect for what it is designed for.

Only in a Jeep
By Huck

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've loved Jeeps for years and drove a CJ7 until it rusted out from under me. I bought this Wrangler used in 2002 with 27K and have loved every minute with it. It is rough to ride in, unrefined in almost every way and squirrely above 70 mph, but it's a Jeep and wonderful to take off road and on a Summer day with the top down and the doors off there's nothing like it. It's been fairly reliable, but I do take it off road, so it does get a work out. Some repair work, but it's not a money pit.

Favorite Features

Rough ride, doors that come off, removable top, off-road prowess

Suggested Improvements

Drifts at the slightest breeze at interstate speeds and is absolutely terrifying on snow or ice without the 4WD engaged

Love it - Hate to see it go.
By Jeepers

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had my Jeep for 10 years now and I love it. No major mechanical problems, just the normal wear of driving it over 200,000 miles. It's not for the person who is looking for a quiet, smooth ride - it's a Jeep, it's built for fun and believe me it is. I have tested it off road only a handful of time over the years and that is where a Jeep is at it's best. Saw a couple of Hummers struggling through the same trails that I had no issues with. Great in winter and fun in the summer. The only complaint I have is it is not a family car and since I'm expecting a baby in a few months, I need to get something bigger - but I will get a Jeep again!!

Favorite Features

Fun, Reliable, 4 wheel drive, Fun, easy to customize yourself, powerful...did I mention how much fun it is?

Suggested Improvements

Lack of storage and fuel economy.