1998 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: We've done a lot since 98 and

1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

SE Convertible SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

We've done a lot since 98 and still going strong.
By tari5 on

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new at a dealership in Colorado. When it was brand new a huge snowstorm hit and there was a pounding on the door. The ranch owner stood there up to his waist in snow. "Can I borrow your rig?"he asked. He needed to do an emergency insulin run for a friend and none of their big expensive ranch trucks could get through the snow. It got through when nobody else could and spent the day rescuing stranded people in what turned out to be a deadly storm. Since then I have driven it across the country from the Atlantic to the Pacific. We have lived in rural Colorado, New Mexico and now on the Plains. Hauled feed to horses, pulled a boat, loaded goats in the back and transported them. Hauled railroad ties and used it as an anchor to stretch fence. My two Irish Wolfhounds curled up in the back and slept for long trips between New Mexico and Kansas. It gets no babying and it has given no trouble. Pop it into four wheel drive and it can get you almost anywhere and back. It's still going strong and I drive it nearly every day.

Rugged. Somehow manages to clean up and look good despite all the miles through the brush. I have neglected it shockingly but it still keeps going. Yeah it is loud. Always has been.. but after driving it all these years I am too deaf for it to bother me much. :-)

Make more just like it in case it dies someday. I don't want to drive anything else.