1998 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: Disappointed so far

1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

SE Convertible SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Disappointed so far
By TmDe5 on

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Jeep for a couple months now. I love the whole Jeep experience but I am a little disappointed with the reliability. In New England we've already had some cold mornings... had trouble starting... then the electrical didnt work until the engine heated up. I bought it from a friend so i know it wasn't beaten on, just normal commutes. Two weeks ago the power steering gearbox failed and leaked every where. Haven't fixed just yet. Also a vent line fell out of the pumpkin axle and I had to crawl under and put back in... I'm not too happy right now. Puts a bad name on domestic products.

The Jeep look. Can't wait to put the top down. Off road capability. 4X4. Lots can be done to them.

Worst 4 cylinder ever. It's gutless and it somehow still gets very poor mileage. I do a mix of highway-town driving and get appoximately 17-18 mpg. Better reliability seems to be the trend.