1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Only in a JEEP
By JeffS on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

You MUST get the 4 Liter. 60 K miles and no major mechanical problems. Just a unique and fun vehicle. What other vehicle lets you take the doors off and put the windscreen down so easily. It's supposed to be bumpy and noisy, by the way.

I love my Jeep
By stevegolf72 on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Runs great, The Gas Mileage sucks. I feel like I sink all of my money into the gas tank! It is very very very loud!

Loved my first one, just got another!
By C. Lively on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In August of 1997 I bought my first Jeep (I was single at the time). I ordered it as a Sport model with the hard top. Just recently, I decided to purchase another 1998 Wrangler Sport (for my wife). The 4.0L is a must and the mileage is what you would expect from an SUV. We're married and looking to have kids soon. Mine is a workhorse, a joy rider and a daily to and from work vehicle. The TJ jeeps handle great with the new coil suspension. Something is to be said about a basic design and philosophy that has withstood an ever-changing automobile design market since the 1940's. As they say "Jeep, there's only one..."

Love this thing
By JMAC on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 98 sahara, the thing is badass. Get the 4.0 the 2.5's are slow. And if you can get a sahara, the thing has the best off-road suspension i have ever seen. Oh yeah, and i nice shifter.

Look cool but you will have to suffer...
By mightymikee on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought 2.5L with softtop initially. While I was doing a long distance trip it had a hard time keeping up 75mph uphill. I traded it in for 4.0L. It has really good power plant; more than anything it has a GREAT low end torque. MPG is not so good for its size and weight. Aerodynamically speaking, it has no aerodynamic considered in the design. Loud, loud, loud. The wind noise is very loud even with hardtop and full steel doors; Hard to carry a conversation on HWy. You will definitely look cool in one of these babies from outside. Definitely for a short term fun.

I love my jeep but its just too noisy.
By j hall on 03/11/02 02:15 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Single guy, 25, buys new 1998 wrangler sport. Same single guy, 30, really wants to get rid of it. It's just too loud, too bumpy, easy to break into. Having said that; very reliable. Never needed to do anything to it. Simple is best, folks. Just don't plan on having it for too long. It'll drive you crazy. P.S. 4.0L a must. 2.5 is a dog. P.P.S. Sahara is stupid. Why pay an extra $6k for seat covers and a wood gear shift? PPPS. get a trunk added on the back.