1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Great, but expensive to drive.
By Dean on 09/18/06 00:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Everything is great on this vehicle. Drive it without dogging it, or beating the crap out of it everywhere you go, and it will last a long time without major repairs. The only downside is the HORRIBLE GAS MILEAGE! 15mpg if you're lucky.

Dad's Jeep
By Chuck on 03/06/06 08:27 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. I drove it from Virginia to Idaho in 4 days and had no problems. Well, with the soft top it did get kinda loud.

review
By jakestertsu19 on 02/24/06 17:31 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I'm very happy with my Jeep . I can't wait for it to get warm outside and iI can take the top off. I've always wanted to do that and now I can. Overall I'm very happy with the Jeep .

My favorite Wrangler ... so far!
By MSJEEPGUY on 01/13/06 12:57 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I've owned several Wranglers, including the new Unlimited, and while the '98 is the oldest (and most experienced) ... so far, it's my favorite. The 2.5L 4 fits me better than the previous 4.0L engines, and this one is also my first with a manual tranny. Aside from a bit more road noise (a great excuse to add a "monster" audio system) than my other Jeeps, I have no complaints. The economy of the 4 cylinder is fine for me. It's a fun little utility vehicle, and I guess I've been lucky, but I've had no mechanical issues with any of the Wranglers I've owned, putting a collective 150,000 miles on them. I'll never be without a Wrangler as long as I live.

my crap jeep
By Andrew on 07/28/05 14:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

For off-roading and driving in the snow, This car is a lot of fun to have. However, if you have to drive it everyday, this is not a great car. Also, if you are looking for a car that is very reliable and does not require a lot of maintenance, this is NOT your car. it takes a lot of "upkeep". But its damn fun off-road!

Most legal fun you can have
By J1E9E9P8 on 07/15/05 15:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Jeep wave says it all. You are part of a family of out going people who just like having a good time enjoying life. Always changing to suit my needs because I enjoy buying things to make my Jeep a one off creation. Fun to drive, easy to park. Top up, top down, rear window out or all button up with the a/c on. Ever changing with my mood.

Best purchase I have made
By WBSobe on 02/01/05 10:57 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Wrangler used last year with 72,000 miles on it. I have been loving my Wrangler since I bought it. Living in MA it's a great year round vehicle, top off in the summer and 4 wheel drive in the winter. I haven't had any mechanical problems like other have stated. I had to replace the rear brakes but thanks to it being a domestic vehicle it cost A LOT less then replacing brakes on my old Toyota. It's been a life changer in the past year I have been hiking and camping more than ever. It gives you a great respect for the outdoors. A Wrangler is not for everyone you have to be a specific type of person to buy one and to enjoy one.

Disappointed so far
By TmDe5 on 12/25/04 02:31 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Jeep for a couple months now. I love the whole Jeep experience but I am a little disappointed with the reliability. In New England we've already had some cold mornings... had trouble starting... then the electrical didnt work until the engine heated up. I bought it from a friend so i know it wasn't beaten on, just normal commutes. Two weeks ago the power steering gearbox failed and leaked every where. Haven't fixed just yet. Also a vent line fell out of the pumpkin axle and I had to crawl under and put back in... I'm not too happy right now. Puts a bad name on domestic products.

Love the truck, MPG lousy!
By Mark326 on 11/12/04 17:59 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I love everything about this vehicle except the gas mileage. My last tank I used 89 octane and averaged 15 mpg city/hwy. Jeep owners are their own breed of people. Be prepared for some repairs, squeaks, and bad MPG. The functionality of this vehicle is amazing. You can truely go anywhere with it! I wouldnt recommend this vehicle for people that have long commutes to work due to the gas mileage. The I6 is a very responsive 6- cylinder engine. I have the 3 speed automatic transmission with mine and I think it could be a bit better. I had to have the torque converter replaced under waranty when I first purchased the vehicle. 3rd gear was vibrating like crazy! Great for short commutes, not long trips.

I hate this car
By Karrye on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

This car breaks constantly. In less than 6 months I have replaced the catalytic converter, muffler, clutch, several engine senors, raditor, fuel filter and pump, and still the car does not run right! Jeep truley stands for just empty every pocket.