Used 1998 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Chris from Philadelphia
By Chris from Phila.

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Jeep from a private sale. It was a completely base model when bought except for A/C. Put new top, tinted windows, "Canyon" wheels, fog lights to pep it up a little bit. I replaced the radiator at 115,000 miles, power steering pump blew at 133,000 miles, replaced muffler 4 times and cat. converter 3 times. Chrysler had a recall on it but I was out of warranty and over the mileage.

Favorite Features

4x4 system, fun to drive in summer, ease of parking ability, accessibility of the "go anywhere" theme.

Suggested Improvements

Half doors slide windows are junk (aftermarket), front seats could use more lumbar support,

Its a Jeep...
By csamn

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this a few months ago. It has been nothing but a dream. I see a lot of people complaining about the gas mileage, if you buy a jeep you should expect that. I have a lift and bigger than stock tires i love it. I have 32's on it and it will go any where trucks with 35+ tires on it no problem. I would recommend everyone to get a dual top or just a hard top for security reasons. I always leave my doors unlocked and don't leave anything valuable in there. If you leave your doors unlocked they wont cut the 150 dollar doors or even the top. Love my Jeep, really consider if it is something you wont before you purchase one. There are way to many mall crawlers out there already...

Favorite Features

Removable top, girls love jeeps, it will go any where, and it hauls all my camping/snowboarding gear no problem.

Suggested Improvements

The gearing was a little low being stock to run larger tires, but that can be found out before you purchase one.

The Real Thing
By DenverLoDo

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new. Dual top. Dana 44. Biggest wheels. I only added the wench and towing package. It was the smoothest ever small Jeep at the time (don't buy a Jeep if you can't take the ride). There have only been 2 hiccups (they changed the bad part in less than a day each time). Other than that I have seen snow, ice, mud, mountains, 11,000+ ft, pulling, wenching, and she still looks new. I still go to the dealership for anything, and they DROOL over her. I think I'll keep her another 10 years, or more. A jewel.

Favorite Features

It can go anywhere. When weather cripples the city, my wife rides with me and we leave the other 4wd in the garage.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to 1998. Stop trying to "refine" it.

Very Fun, bulletproof but expensive
By agildner1

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My first vehicle(a jeep isnt a car) is a 98 sport with the 5 speed. I have both tops and hard doors, and its still very loud(I have NOISY mud terrain tires which dont help). I have driven this things over ice, then the ice cracked and I was bogging through 3 ft of mud with ice scraping along the bottom and no problems from that. This Jeep has 192,000 miles and has been well abused like no other vehicle. But its been expensive. trans rebuild at 190K($800) is only vehicle related part but I still got many miles on it. Other problems that all cars will have is new power steering pump($120), AC system overhaul ($250), brakes ($150). I did all the work myself(very easy to work on). FUN!!!

Favorite Features

Super rugged, super good offroad, cheap and easy to replace parts, plain, simple interior-love it. All my friends are jealous and 2 other friends have wranglers now due to me. 5 speed is not smooth but it feels rugged like your driving a semi. Everybody loves it. Me, my 4 year old cousins, and even my grandma and mom all want it lol. I have 2" lift, 31" mudders, arb snorkel, and homemade bumpers. I also like to add that I get decent mileage since I have lift and mud tires. I get 18 of highway/city combined with 4.0L and 5 speed, 190K on the engine and it still loves to scream. The 4.0L is the BEST ENGINE of all time(in my mind)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really. I have high miles so I cant complain are stuff going wrong. GREAT resale value!!!

We've done a lot since 98 and still going strong.
By tari5

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new at a dealership in Colorado. When it was brand new a huge snowstorm hit and there was a pounding on the door. The ranch owner stood there up to his waist in snow. "Can I borrow your rig?"he asked. He needed to do an emergency insulin run for a friend and none of their big expensive ranch trucks could get through the snow. It got through when nobody else could and spent the day rescuing stranded people in what turned out to be a deadly storm. Since then I have driven it across the country from the Atlantic to the Pacific. We have lived in rural Colorado, New Mexico and now on the Plains. Hauled feed to horses, pulled a boat, loaded goats in the back and transported them. Hauled railroad ties and used it as an anchor to stretch fence. My two Irish Wolfhounds curled up in the back and slept for long trips between New Mexico and Kansas. It gets no babying and it has given no trouble. Pop it into four wheel drive and it can get you almost anywhere and back. It's still going strong and I drive it nearly every day.

Favorite Features

Rugged. Somehow manages to clean up and look good despite all the miles through the brush. I have neglected it shockingly but it still keeps going. Yeah it is loud. Always has been.. but after driving it all these years I am too deaf for it to bother me much. :-)

Suggested Improvements

Make more just like it in case it dies someday. I don't want to drive anything else.