Used 1998 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

fuel economy
By jeepmech

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Great auto, it does whatever you want it to do. It has had to have some repairs done to it, but with a vehicle that is designed to go anywhere, things are bound to wear out. The inline 6 is a great engine, the fuel econ is a little low but with knowledge of how the eng works you can improve it dramatically i.e.: a little diesel mixed in the fuel at the right levels sent mine from 16mpg to 20mpg keep the lift low 2.75 inch, run 33inch tires change the trans to an AW4 and I added 4 more now I’m at 23mpg. the last thing I did was use a cylinder cut out at 1200 to 3500 rpm (highway speeds) #2 and #5 drop out that added 5 to 6 more depending on who made the gas, now 29 to 30mpg. Anyone can do it.

Everything!

If Jeep would make a drop in diesel engine with transmission would make a big difference, you can really make those get some high econ.

Always Wanted One
By Bob

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Its awesome, for a single person, i like it alot, ragtop little noisy, shift good runs good, cant say enough about..2,5 a little doggy but oh while..

interior exterior awesome, shifting linaege awesome, easy to park

rag top zippers, for windows

jeepers creepers
By daryl

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my jeep for four years, and I absolutely love everything about it. I have a 4 inch lift and 33" tires, gearing, lockers, exhaust, both tops, and a lot of work put into it. The gas mileage is not that bad on mine due to the different gearing. I Get almost 19 highway. When you put bigger tires, in order for the engine to still get the "get-up-and-go" one needs to change the gear ratio to adapt to the large tires. I do like to beat mine up, and it still holds up. My Favorite vehicle.

upgrades available, off roading, convertible, looks

Small block fuel injected

When is it time to let go?
By DeMatt

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner and find myself replacing this car piece by piece. The biggest problem that i have with it is the rust!! Not on the body, but everywhere else. The brake lines are rusted and ruptured. Keep an eye out!!!

duh!!

The Real Thing
By DenverLoDo

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new. Dual top. Dana 44. Biggest wheels. I only added the wench and towing package. It was the smoothest ever small Jeep at the time (don't buy a Jeep if you can't take the ride). There have only been 2 hiccups (they changed the bad part in less than a day each time). Other than that I have seen snow, ice, mud, mountains, 11,000+ ft, pulling, wenching, and she still looks new. I still go to the dealership for anything, and they DROOL over her. I think I'll keep her another 10 years, or more. A jewel.

It can go anywhere. When weather cripples the city, my wife rides with me and we leave the other 4wd in the garage.

Go back to 1998. Stop trying to "refine" it.