Used 1998 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Always Wanted One
By Bob

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Its awesome, for a single person, i like it alot, ragtop little noisy, shift good runs good, cant say enough about..2,5 a little doggy but oh while..

interior exterior awesome, shifting linaege awesome, easy to park

rag top zippers, for windows

jeepers creepers
By daryl

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my jeep for four years, and I absolutely love everything about it. I have a 4 inch lift and 33" tires, gearing, lockers, exhaust, both tops, and a lot of work put into it. The gas mileage is not that bad on mine due to the different gearing. I Get almost 19 highway. When you put bigger tires, in order for the engine to still get the "get-up-and-go" one needs to change the gear ratio to adapt to the large tires. I do like to beat mine up, and it still holds up. My Favorite vehicle.

upgrades available, off roading, convertible, looks

Small block fuel injected

When is it time to let go?
By DeMatt

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner and find myself replacing this car piece by piece. The biggest problem that i have with it is the rust!! Not on the body, but everywhere else. The brake lines are rusted and ruptured. Keep an eye out!!!

duh!!

The Real Thing
By DenverLoDo

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new. Dual top. Dana 44. Biggest wheels. I only added the wench and towing package. It was the smoothest ever small Jeep at the time (don't buy a Jeep if you can't take the ride). There have only been 2 hiccups (they changed the bad part in less than a day each time). Other than that I have seen snow, ice, mud, mountains, 11,000+ ft, pulling, wenching, and she still looks new. I still go to the dealership for anything, and they DROOL over her. I think I'll keep her another 10 years, or more. A jewel.

It can go anywhere. When weather cripples the city, my wife rides with me and we leave the other 4wd in the garage.

Go back to 1998. Stop trying to "refine" it.

Chris from Philadelphia
By Chris from Phila.

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Jeep from a private sale. It was a completely base model when bought except for A/C. Put new top, tinted windows, "Canyon" wheels, fog lights to pep it up a little bit. I replaced the radiator at 115,000 miles, power steering pump blew at 133,000 miles, replaced muffler 4 times and cat. converter 3 times. Chrysler had a recall on it but I was out of warranty and over the mileage.

4x4 system, fun to drive in summer, ease of parking ability, accessibility of the "go anywhere" theme.

Half doors slide windows are junk (aftermarket), front seats could use more lumbar support,