Used 1998 Jeep Wrangler SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

We've done a lot since 98 and still going strong.
By tari5

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new at a dealership in Colorado. When it was brand new a huge snowstorm hit and there was a pounding on the door. The ranch owner stood there up to his waist in snow. "Can I borrow your rig?"he asked. He needed to do an emergency insulin run for a friend and none of their big expensive ranch trucks could get through the snow. It got through when nobody else could and spent the day rescuing stranded people in what turned out to be a deadly storm. Since then I have driven it across the country from the Atlantic to the Pacific. We have lived in rural Colorado, New Mexico and now on the Plains. Hauled feed to horses, pulled a boat, loaded goats in the back and transported them. Hauled railroad ties and used it as an anchor to stretch fence. My two Irish Wolfhounds curled up in the back and slept for long trips between New Mexico and Kansas. It gets no babying and it has given no trouble. Pop it into four wheel drive and it can get you almost anywhere and back. It's still going strong and I drive it nearly every day.

Favorite Features

Rugged. Somehow manages to clean up and look good despite all the miles through the brush. I have neglected it shockingly but it still keeps going. Yeah it is loud. Always has been.. but after driving it all these years I am too deaf for it to bother me much. :-)

Suggested Improvements

Make more just like it in case it dies someday. I don't want to drive anything else.

You Gotta Love the Jeep
By crazywvlady

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my 98 Wrangler since June 2004. I originally bought my first Wrangler in 2001 (a 98 model), that was hit head on by another Jeep! Totaled! I loved the vehicle so much, I bought one of the same year. I'm so glad that I did. It has never left me stranded and repairs have been under $200 since I've owned it. I baby it though, wipe it down every night, change oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. If your Jeep is maintained, will probably last you a lifetime. My next vehicle: hands down: A JEEP!

Favorite Features

Flip top roof, ease of changing gears, being able to remove back seat, and so many upgrades you can buy (different tops, etc.).

Suggested Improvements

Move the ashtray out of the gear shifts way, larger glove compartment, better sound system.

Its a Jeep...
By csamn

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this a few months ago. It has been nothing but a dream. I see a lot of people complaining about the gas mileage, if you buy a jeep you should expect that. I have a lift and bigger than stock tires i love it. I have 32's on it and it will go any where trucks with 35+ tires on it no problem. I would recommend everyone to get a dual top or just a hard top for security reasons. I always leave my doors unlocked and don't leave anything valuable in there. If you leave your doors unlocked they wont cut the 150 dollar doors or even the top. Love my Jeep, really consider if it is something you wont before you purchase one. There are way to many mall crawlers out there already...

Favorite Features

Removable top, girls love jeeps, it will go any where, and it hauls all my camping/snowboarding gear no problem.

Suggested Improvements

The gearing was a little low being stock to run larger tires, but that can be found out before you purchase one.

The Real Thing
By DenverLoDo

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new. Dual top. Dana 44. Biggest wheels. I only added the wench and towing package. It was the smoothest ever small Jeep at the time (don't buy a Jeep if you can't take the ride). There have only been 2 hiccups (they changed the bad part in less than a day each time). Other than that I have seen snow, ice, mud, mountains, 11,000+ ft, pulling, wenching, and she still looks new. I still go to the dealership for anything, and they DROOL over her. I think I'll keep her another 10 years, or more. A jewel.

Favorite Features

It can go anywhere. When weather cripples the city, my wife rides with me and we leave the other 4wd in the garage.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to 1998. Stop trying to "refine" it.

Chris from Philadelphia
By Chris V

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jeep 4 years ago. Replaced the cat. converter 3 times. Replaced radiator. Constantly tightening belt. Without an automatic tensioner it squeaks about every 2,000 miles with the AC or defroster on. Getting kinda tired of the rattling of the cat converter. Unfortunatly I do not come under the recall they issued for that.