1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
You'll never know unless you own one.
By lmnop on 06/04/10 15:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I recently purchased my Jeep from my brother. Sure, I drove it once or twice, but didn't love it. I've had it now for just about a month and am sure I will always own one. I enjoy it more than anything I have ever owned, from sports cars, performance sedans, big granny wagons to full size trucks and vans.

fuel economy
By jeepmech on 10/25/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Great auto, it does whatever you want it to do. It has had to have some repairs done to it, but with a vehicle that is designed to go anywhere, things are bound to wear out. The inline 6 is a great engine, the fuel econ is a little low but with knowledge of how the eng works you can improve it dramatically i.e.: a little diesel mixed in the fuel at the right levels sent mine from 16mpg to 20mpg keep the lift low 2.75 inch, run 33inch tires change the trans to an AW4 and I added 4 more now I’m at 23mpg. the last thing I did was use a cylinder cut out at 1200 to 3500 rpm (highway speeds) #2 and #5 drop out that added 5 to 6 more depending on who made the gas, now 29 to 30mpg. Anyone can do it.

Love the truck, MPG lousy!
By Mark326 on 11/12/04 17:59 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I love everything about this vehicle except the gas mileage. My last tank I used 89 octane and averaged 15 mpg city/hwy. Jeep owners are their own breed of people. Be prepared for some repairs, squeaks, and bad MPG. The functionality of this vehicle is amazing. You can truely go anywhere with it! I wouldnt recommend this vehicle for people that have long commutes to work due to the gas mileage. The I6 is a very responsive 6- cylinder engine. I have the 3 speed automatic transmission with mine and I think it could be a bit better. I had to have the torque converter replaced under waranty when I first purchased the vehicle. 3rd gear was vibrating like crazy! Great for short commutes, not long trips.

I hate this car
By Karrye on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

This car breaks constantly. In less than 6 months I have replaced the catalytic converter, muffler, clutch, several engine senors, raditor, fuel filter and pump, and still the car does not run right! Jeep truley stands for just empty every pocket.

Love my Jeep
By snopro on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

My nuddy had a 92 wrangler back in the day and we had a ball in that jeep. I always remembered the good times we ahd in it. I finally bought my jeep used from a dealer. It had 39k on it and it looked like it was taken care of. I have never driven anything that is so much fun. I will have this jeep for a super long time. If I had to get something different it going to be a new jeep without a doubt.

No regrets
By morrisdg on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

A convertible for people who still want a rugged feel, who still want to be able to go anywhere. An SUV for people who don't need to compensate for shortcomings elsewhere. A fun car that still has a few practical uses. Friends may not be willing to buy one themselves, but they'll all want to ride in it. Life is better with a Jeep.

FUN AND VERSATILE
By Archaeologist on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

THE JEEP BEGAN AS A MILITARY VEHICLE AND HAS NOT LOST ITS OFFROAD ABILITY THROUGH OUT THE YEARS. THE REMOVABLE TOP COUPLED WITH THE 4WD CAPABILITY MAKES IT A VERY VERSATILE RIG.

hoosjon review
By hoosjon on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

i have enjoyed this jeep and plan to get another one that is similar. fun to drive, this is an experience that makes driving more of an adventure and less a way to get from here to there.

The Beast
By Jeeper 2003 on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I Love My Jeep. It gets all the looks on the road. The styling is like no other and this vehicle is the king when it comes to the off-road. On road the ride is not to bad, you have to remember it is a jeep though not a cadi. Taking the doors off and letting the top down make driving a pleasure instead of a hassle.

Great Vehicle
By OOJack on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

There is seriously nothing like a jeep. I bought mine new in 1998 (Green Sahara Hard Top), and have put 75,000 miles on it. Other than basic service and minor warranty work, I have had no real problems. If your considering buying a Wrangler, make sure you comfortable with the expected wind noise, bumpiness, fuel mileage etc. Wranglers are just plain fun. You get looks all time, jeep drivers usually wave at each other, and this thing turns on a dime.