Used 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

You'll never know unless you own one.
By lmnop

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I recently purchased my Jeep from my brother. Sure, I drove it once or twice, but didn't love it. I've had it now for just about a month and am sure I will always own one. I enjoy it more than anything I have ever owned, from sports cars, performance sedans, big granny wagons to full size trucks and vans.

Open top, easy manual trans, 4x4, ease of pot hole handling, and attention. Also, feels like driving a go-kart / toy.

Too new to not like anything yet.

fuel economy
By jeepmech

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Great auto, it does whatever you want it to do. It has had to have some repairs done to it, but with a vehicle that is designed to go anywhere, things are bound to wear out. The inline 6 is a great engine, the fuel econ is a little low but with knowledge of how the eng works you can improve it dramatically i.e.: a little diesel mixed in the fuel at the right levels sent mine from 16mpg to 20mpg keep the lift low 2.75 inch, run 33inch tires change the trans to an AW4 and I added 4 more now Iím at 23mpg. the last thing I did was use a cylinder cut out at 1200 to 3500 rpm (highway speeds) #2 and #5 drop out that added 5 to 6 more depending on who made the gas, now 29 to 30mpg. Anyone can do it.

Everything!

If Jeep would make a drop in diesel engine with transmission would make a big difference, you can really make those get some high econ.

Love the truck, MPG lousy!
By Mark326

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I love everything about this vehicle except the gas mileage. My last tank I used 89 octane and averaged 15 mpg city/hwy. Jeep owners are their own breed of people. Be prepared for some repairs, squeaks, and bad MPG. The functionality of this vehicle is amazing. You can truely go anywhere with it! I wouldnt recommend this vehicle for people that have long commutes to work due to the gas mileage. The I6 is a very responsive 6- cylinder engine. I have the 3 speed automatic transmission with mine and I think it could be a bit better. I had to have the torque converter replaced under waranty when I first purchased the vehicle. 3rd gear was vibrating like crazy! Great for short commutes, not long trips.

The features are endless. Bolt-ons and accessories for the Wrangler never stop. I love the 4WD in the snow. Never get stuck. Small truck with plenty of interior room.

The only thing that has to get improved is the gas mileage, and to make it a bit more water-tight.

I hate this car
By Karrye

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

This car breaks constantly. In less than 6 months I have replaced the catalytic converter, muffler, clutch, several engine senors, raditor, fuel filter and pump, and still the car does not run right! Jeep truley stands for just empty every pocket.

None

Set on fire and burn.

Love my Jeep
By snopro

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

My nuddy had a 92 wrangler back in the day and we had a ball in that jeep. I always remembered the good times we ahd in it. I finally bought my jeep used from a dealer. It had 39k on it and it looked like it was taken care of. I have never driven anything that is so much fun. I will have this jeep for a super long time. If I had to get something different it going to be a new jeep without a doubt.

I love the Sahara seats. Much nicer than the standard seats. Air just in case is super hot and your all dressed up. The 4.0 is a nice package that's been around a long time. It handles very well for the small package it is. The big tire package is nice too.

rust protection on hinges