1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Can't be Fixed!
By pwayne1 on 10/05/11 17:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In 2010 I purchased a beautiful '98 Wrangler Sport,from an elderly lady that had only 51k miles.It had a 4.0 with air and auto transmission.Within a week,the jeep would for no apparent reason,begin to stall and miss.This episode would last anywhere from 45 to 60 seconds,and by stomping on the gas,it would backfire,and then smooth out.In the last 10k miles,I have spent approx. 2500.00$ trying to resolve this problem,including 1300.00$ and 18 weeks at the Dealership.After 4 and 1/2 months,I brought it home today,same problem.After owning four Jeeps, this is my last.

Very Fun, bulletproof but expensive
By agildner1 on 09/19/11 15:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My first vehicle(a jeep isnt a car) is a 98 sport with the 5 speed. I have both tops and hard doors, and its still very loud(I have NOISY mud terrain tires which dont help). I have driven this things over ice, then the ice cracked and I was bogging through 3 ft of mud with ice scraping along the bottom and no problems from that. This Jeep has 192,000 miles and has been well abused like no other vehicle. But its been expensive. trans rebuild at 190K($800) is only vehicle related part but I still got many miles on it. Other problems that all cars will have is new power steering pump($120), AC system overhaul ($250), brakes ($150). I did all the work myself(very easy to work on). FUN!!!

I love my jeep, but.....
By Asturgeon on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love driving my jeep. Its fun to drive, and i love being able to go anywhere anytime. I bought it with about 120,000 miles on it and put a 4 in lift with 33 in tires. That killed the power and gas mileage. It has about 154,000 on it now and just replaced a water pump and the power steering is on its way out the door. I replaced the rear axle with a ford 8.8 about a year ago. The Dana 35c that comes in it is junk. Overall, it takes cash to keep it running right, but its worth it if you got the cash. I highly recommend the hardtop and full doors. I wish it came with a better quality stereo so i can actually hear my music when I'm driving.

Awesome first car
By Preston on 01/19/10 11:23 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I got a 98 as my first car And I absoulutly love it ! Its not the most powerful car in the world but it helps avoid the speeding tickets. The suspension is like no other its so bouncy its fun to go over bumps. I have a few bolt on accessories like Nerf bars and brush guards and you can find Cheap used. mine is an Automatic and unless your a serious off roader or have to do alot of interstate travel its really nice. The Jeep isn't for anybody ( my dad doesn't care for it ) but If you want a fun car there awesome. and if you want to get into off roading there Beast even stock I don't get stuck in light mud under a foot or so thick and nothing is funner then going off roading

Like no other. Period.
By Mike on 12/21/09 16:09 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep is a rugged, strong vehicle that is nearly bullet-proof. Mine has nearly 95,000 miles and the only problem I've had was when my clutch died, but that clutch took 45000 miles of hard driving. It is extremely easy to fix up or add upgrades, even if your not experienced. Wranglers have extreme capabilities out of the box, and with a few upgrades, there's few places you can't go, and even though the top speed is around 80, that doesn't mean it's lacking any power. Also, there is nothing else like driving around in the summer with the top down, and whenever you pass another Wrangler, there is the all-knowing "Jeep Wave" that tells you that there is someone else who understands your love.

Always Wanted One
By Bob on 04/08/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Its awesome, for a single person, i like it alot, ragtop little noisy, shift good runs good, cant say enough about..2,5 a little doggy but oh while..

jeepers creepers
By daryl on 12/18/08 21:31 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my jeep for four years, and I absolutely love everything about it. I have a 4 inch lift and 33" tires, gearing, lockers, exhaust, both tops, and a lot of work put into it. The gas mileage is not that bad on mine due to the different gearing. I Get almost 19 highway. When you put bigger tires, in order for the engine to still get the "get-up-and-go" one needs to change the gear ratio to adapt to the large tires. I do like to beat mine up, and it still holds up. My Favorite vehicle.

When is it time to let go?
By DeMatt on 05/19/08 17:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner and find myself replacing this car piece by piece. The biggest problem that i have with it is the rust!! Not on the body, but everywhere else. The brake lines are rusted and ruptured. Keep an eye out!!!

Chris from Philadelphia
By Chris from Phila. on 03/14/08 07:16 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought this Jeep from a private sale. It was a completely base model when bought except for A/C. Put new top, tinted windows, "Canyon" wheels, fog lights to pep it up a little bit. I replaced the radiator at 115,000 miles, power steering pump blew at 133,000 miles, replaced muffler 4 times and cat. converter 3 times. Chrysler had a recall on it but I was out of warranty and over the mileage.

!ow you dont know what your missing!
By keydriver33 on 09/18/07 18:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

i see people complaining about this or that, it's a Jeep thing is right. I've owned several and sure it takes cash to keep them running right,but look at what your getting out of it. I 4-wheel a lot, almost every weekend and I gotta say I always make it back when others don't. My favorite saying as I'm passing them is "you wouldnt be stuck if you bought a Jeep". Thanks for your time and lets get out there and have fun in a jeep.