1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
We've done a lot since 98 and still going strong.
By tari5 on 11/28/11 11:43 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new at a dealership in Colorado. When it was brand new a huge snowstorm hit and there was a pounding on the door. The ranch owner stood there up to his waist in snow. "Can I borrow your rig?"he asked. He needed to do an emergency insulin run for a friend and none of their big expensive ranch trucks could get through the snow. It got through when nobody else could and spent the day rescuing stranded people in what turned out to be a deadly storm. Since then I have driven it across the country from the Atlantic to the Pacific. We have lived in rural Colorado, New Mexico and now on the Plains. Hauled feed to horses, pulled a boat, loaded goats in the back and transported them. Hauled railroad ties and used it as an anchor to stretch fence. My two Irish Wolfhounds curled up in the back and slept for long trips between New Mexico and Kansas. It gets no babying and it has given no trouble. Pop it into four wheel drive and it can get you almost anywhere and back. It's still going strong and I drive it nearly every day.

You Gotta Love the Jeep
By crazywvlady on 03/21/10 17:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my 98 Wrangler since June 2004. I originally bought my first Wrangler in 2001 (a 98 model), that was hit head on by another Jeep! Totaled! I loved the vehicle so much, I bought one of the same year. I'm so glad that I did. It has never left me stranded and repairs have been under $200 since I've owned it. I baby it though, wipe it down every night, change oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. If your Jeep is maintained, will probably last you a lifetime. My next vehicle: hands down: A JEEP!

Its a Jeep...
By csamn on 02/01/10 00:31 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this a few months ago. It has been nothing but a dream. I see a lot of people complaining about the gas mileage, if you buy a jeep you should expect that. I have a lift and bigger than stock tires i love it. I have 32's on it and it will go any where trucks with 35+ tires on it no problem. I would recommend everyone to get a dual top or just a hard top for security reasons. I always leave my doors unlocked and don't leave anything valuable in there. If you leave your doors unlocked they wont cut the 150 dollar doors or even the top. Love my Jeep, really consider if it is something you wont before you purchase one. There are way to many mall crawlers out there already...

The Real Thing
By DenverLoDo on 05/14/08 10:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought it new. Dual top. Dana 44. Biggest wheels. I only added the wench and towing package. It was the smoothest ever small Jeep at the time (don't buy a Jeep if you can't take the ride). There have only been 2 hiccups (they changed the bad part in less than a day each time). Other than that I have seen snow, ice, mud, mountains, 11,000+ ft, pulling, wenching, and she still looks new. I still go to the dealership for anything, and they DROOL over her. I think I'll keep her another 10 years, or more. A jewel.

Chris from Philadelphia
By Chris V on 11/01/07 17:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jeep 4 years ago. Replaced the cat. converter 3 times. Replaced radiator. Constantly tightening belt. Without an automatic tensioner it squeaks about every 2,000 miles with the AC or defroster on. Getting kinda tired of the rattling of the cat converter. Unfortunatly I do not come under the recall they issued for that.

Not a commuter vehicle
By Jim on 06/05/07 13:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Wrangler used with 76,000 miles on it. It has a soft top, 3 inch lift and 31" Mickey Thompson tires. Looks great. The 4 cylinder has no power and with the automatic tranny and big tires the fuel economy is a horrendous 12 MPG. I bought it as a toy to off road in but need to use it as a commuter for about a month while my other car is in the body shop. I travel 120 miles round trip to work and I have had to fill it daily to the tune of about 40 bucks a pop. Fun to drive but don't use it for anything but a toy or you'll be disappointed.

Dad's Jeep
By Chuck on 03/06/06 08:27 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

This is the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. I drove it from Virginia to Idaho in 4 days and had no problems. Well, with the soft top it did get kinda loud.

My favorite Wrangler ... so far!
By MSJEEPGUY on 01/13/06 12:57 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I've owned several Wranglers, including the new Unlimited, and while the '98 is the oldest (and most experienced) ... so far, it's my favorite. The 2.5L 4 fits me better than the previous 4.0L engines, and this one is also my first with a manual tranny. Aside from a bit more road noise (a great excuse to add a "monster" audio system) than my other Jeeps, I have no complaints. The economy of the 4 cylinder is fine for me. It's a fun little utility vehicle, and I guess I've been lucky, but I've had no mechanical issues with any of the Wranglers I've owned, putting a collective 150,000 miles on them. I'll never be without a Wrangler as long as I live.

my crap jeep
By Andrew on 07/28/05 14:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

For off-roading and driving in the snow, This car is a lot of fun to have. However, if you have to drive it everyday, this is not a great car. Also, if you are looking for a car that is very reliable and does not require a lot of maintenance, this is NOT your car. it takes a lot of "upkeep". But its damn fun off-road!

Disappointed so far
By TmDe5 on 12/25/04 02:31 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have had my Jeep for a couple months now. I love the whole Jeep experience but I am a little disappointed with the reliability. In New England we've already had some cold mornings... had trouble starting... then the electrical didnt work until the engine heated up. I bought it from a friend so i know it wasn't beaten on, just normal commutes. Two weeks ago the power steering gearbox failed and leaked every where. Haven't fixed just yet. Also a vent line fell out of the pumpkin axle and I had to crawl under and put back in... I'm not too happy right now. Puts a bad name on domestic products.