1998 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
We've done a lot since 98 and still going strong.
By tari5 on 11/28/11 11:43 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep new at a dealership in Colorado. When it was brand new a huge snowstorm hit and there was a pounding on the door. The ranch owner stood there up to his waist in snow. "Can I borrow your rig?"he asked. He needed to do an emergency insulin run for a friend and none of their big expensive ranch trucks could get through the snow. It got through when nobody else could and spent the day rescuing stranded people in what turned out to be a deadly storm. Since then I have driven it across the country from the Atlantic to the Pacific. We have lived in rural Colorado, New Mexico and now on the Plains. Hauled feed to horses, pulled a boat, loaded goats in the back and transported them. Hauled railroad ties and used it as an anchor to stretch fence. My two Irish Wolfhounds curled up in the back and slept for long trips between New Mexico and Kansas. It gets no babying and it has given no trouble. Pop it into four wheel drive and it can get you almost anywhere and back. It's still going strong and I drive it nearly every day.

Can't be Fixed!
By pwayne1 on 10/05/11 17:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In 2010 I purchased a beautiful '98 Wrangler Sport,from an elderly lady that had only 51k miles.It had a 4.0 with air and auto transmission.Within a week,the jeep would for no apparent reason,begin to stall and miss.This episode would last anywhere from 45 to 60 seconds,and by stomping on the gas,it would backfire,and then smooth out.In the last 10k miles,I have spent approx. 2500.00$ trying to resolve this problem,including 1300.00$ and 18 weeks at the Dealership.After 4 and 1/2 months,I brought it home today,same problem.After owning four Jeeps, this is my last.

Very Fun, bulletproof but expensive
By agildner1 on 09/19/11 15:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My first vehicle(a jeep isnt a car) is a 98 sport with the 5 speed. I have both tops and hard doors, and its still very loud(I have NOISY mud terrain tires which dont help). I have driven this things over ice, then the ice cracked and I was bogging through 3 ft of mud with ice scraping along the bottom and no problems from that. This Jeep has 192,000 miles and has been well abused like no other vehicle. But its been expensive. trans rebuild at 190K($800) is only vehicle related part but I still got many miles on it. Other problems that all cars will have is new power steering pump($120), AC system overhaul ($250), brakes ($150). I did all the work myself(very easy to work on). FUN!!!

I love my jeep, but.....
By Asturgeon on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love driving my jeep. Its fun to drive, and i love being able to go anywhere anytime. I bought it with about 120,000 miles on it and put a 4 in lift with 33 in tires. That killed the power and gas mileage. It has about 154,000 on it now and just replaced a water pump and the power steering is on its way out the door. I replaced the rear axle with a ford 8.8 about a year ago. The Dana 35c that comes in it is junk. Overall, it takes cash to keep it running right, but its worth it if you got the cash. I highly recommend the hardtop and full doors. I wish it came with a better quality stereo so i can actually hear my music when I'm driving.

You'll never know unless you own one.
By lmnop on 06/04/10 15:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I recently purchased my Jeep from my brother. Sure, I drove it once or twice, but didn't love it. I've had it now for just about a month and am sure I will always own one. I enjoy it more than anything I have ever owned, from sports cars, performance sedans, big granny wagons to full size trucks and vans.

You Gotta Love the Jeep
By crazywvlady on 03/21/10 17:15 PM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my 98 Wrangler since June 2004. I originally bought my first Wrangler in 2001 (a 98 model), that was hit head on by another Jeep! Totaled! I loved the vehicle so much, I bought one of the same year. I'm so glad that I did. It has never left me stranded and repairs have been under $200 since I've owned it. I baby it though, wipe it down every night, change oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. If your Jeep is maintained, will probably last you a lifetime. My next vehicle: hands down: A JEEP!

Its a Jeep...
By csamn on 02/01/10 00:31 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this a few months ago. It has been nothing but a dream. I see a lot of people complaining about the gas mileage, if you buy a jeep you should expect that. I have a lift and bigger than stock tires i love it. I have 32's on it and it will go any where trucks with 35+ tires on it no problem. I would recommend everyone to get a dual top or just a hard top for security reasons. I always leave my doors unlocked and don't leave anything valuable in there. If you leave your doors unlocked they wont cut the 150 dollar doors or even the top. Love my Jeep, really consider if it is something you wont before you purchase one. There are way to many mall crawlers out there already...

Awesome first car
By Preston on 01/19/10 11:23 AM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I got a 98 as my first car And I absoulutly love it ! Its not the most powerful car in the world but it helps avoid the speeding tickets. The suspension is like no other its so bouncy its fun to go over bumps. I have a few bolt on accessories like Nerf bars and brush guards and you can find Cheap used. mine is an Automatic and unless your a serious off roader or have to do alot of interstate travel its really nice. The Jeep isn't for anybody ( my dad doesn't care for it ) but If you want a fun car there awesome. and if you want to get into off roading there Beast even stock I don't get stuck in light mud under a foot or so thick and nothing is funner then going off roading

Like no other. Period.
By Mike on 12/21/09 16:09 PM (PST)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep is a rugged, strong vehicle that is nearly bullet-proof. Mine has nearly 95,000 miles and the only problem I've had was when my clutch died, but that clutch took 45000 miles of hard driving. It is extremely easy to fix up or add upgrades, even if your not experienced. Wranglers have extreme capabilities out of the box, and with a few upgrades, there's few places you can't go, and even though the top speed is around 80, that doesn't mean it's lacking any power. Also, there is nothing else like driving around in the summer with the top down, and whenever you pass another Wrangler, there is the all-knowing "Jeep Wave" that tells you that there is someone else who understands your love.

fuel economy
By jeepmech on 10/25/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Great auto, it does whatever you want it to do. It has had to have some repairs done to it, but with a vehicle that is designed to go anywhere, things are bound to wear out. The inline 6 is a great engine, the fuel econ is a little low but with knowledge of how the eng works you can improve it dramatically i.e.: a little diesel mixed in the fuel at the right levels sent mine from 16mpg to 20mpg keep the lift low 2.75 inch, run 33inch tires change the trans to an AW4 and I added 4 more now Iím at 23mpg. the last thing I did was use a cylinder cut out at 1200 to 3500 rpm (highway speeds) #2 and #5 drop out that added 5 to 6 more depending on who made the gas, now 29 to 30mpg. Anyone can do it.