Used 1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Worth the Purchase
By natestj

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle is awesome! Fun to drive, especially in the summer with the top off. I bought it with 74K miles and now have over 98k. Every time I change the oil it looks exactly the same as when I put it in, clean! No problems with engine or transmission. Excellent capability in the snow, never stuck once. The 6 cylinder is a must, despite poor gas mileage. Comfort isn't too bad, but the ride is that of a Jeep, it's supposed to be a little rough. Right? The only minor problems I've had is replacing the sway bar brackets and bushings. Also the universal joints on the drive shaft seem to wear out quick. They make a very annoying clicking sound when you take off out of first gear.

Favorite Features

Looks; you always get people checking you out in a Jeep! The manual transmission is a must; it's a Jeep, they should only come in manual. Don't know how to drive one? Learn!

Suggested Improvements

More durable, better quality U-joints on drive shaft, and sway bar bushings.

Mr. Reliability
By Jim/PA

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 105,000 miles on the Jeep and it still runs well. The mileage is poor, but it starts up ever morning. I had both the hardtop and soft top until the soft top ripped off while driving on the highway. The driver seat is comfortable and the seatbelt holds you in your seat over all terrain. I planned on having the car til it dies [ or I die], but I'm getting sick of the water puddles. I have the hardtop and I had to remove all of the carpet and plugs so I do not have the musty smell. I definitely recommend the Jeep, it was well worth the money I paid in 97 -$18,000. Not to mention the resale value is great!!!

Favorite Features

The big tire package; Jeeps with the small tires just don't look as nice. Look more like a chick car. The view, no blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Must do something about the water leaks. Not sure what you can do, but I had to purchase 4 new windshields and countless window repairs from all of the stone chips.

My first car
By Jon Lance

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car myself in 97. I did a lot of it comparitive shopping and I found this to be a perfect fit for me. Great quality for the money, inside and out. Rugged and very good off road perfect for hard core drivers, even the whole carpet snaps out and plugs can be pulled to drain out water(in case you get stuck in the rain). The updated interior was new to this model in 97 and I liked it then and it is fine now. My biggest piece of advice is don't skimp on the AC you'll regret it. Overall a great reliable everyday use or offroad vehicle.

Favorite Features

Get the big tires and the offroading rear (Dana 44?)

Suggested Improvements

electric top- The soft top is a little bit of a pain in the a-- to get back up at night because in the sun and heat the top is flexible at night when its cool its tight and stiff.

Reliable and fun
By Jeeppr

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Jeeps are not cars, so drivers shouldn't expect that. Love Jeeps for what they are: fun, great off-roads, convertible, and rugged.

Favorite Features

the locking trunk, the overhead speakers, the variable wiper speeds, the seat comfort, the visibility, the smile on my face when I am driving along. It puts me in a good mood.

Suggested Improvements

CDs skip frequently and the gas mileage, driver's seat doesn't go all the way forward, and when the windows are down my hair blows in my eyes (I have the hard doors/windows).

1997 Dream
By CWalts

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I can't say enough about my Sport. I have owned it since day one, and as I am approaching 100k, I have really only had one problem...the exhaust maniford, which I understand is quite common in the V6. $700 later and I am good to go. I LOVE THIS CAR...hope I never have to sell it. I drive it 40 miles/day, and what would otherwise be a miserable commute is changed with a few moves to get the top down. BUY ONE!!!

Favorite Features

A little more cargo room would be nice, but that isn't what I bought it for.

Suggested Improvements

It is loud...it is a Jeep. If you are worried about noise, don't bother...Jeep doesn't want you.