Used 1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

I love my Jeep!
By surrealistic_star@ya

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep is the best vehicle I have had. I have, unfortuatley, been rear-ended twice with absolutly no damage to the Jeep at all. It's stock but still a beast off-road, gas isn't too bad. It takes me 45(give or take) to fill up and I get about 250 to a tank around town. 100 miles on the freeway uses about 1/4 tank. The convienence of the soft top is great and fun! I definitely suggest anyone have one at some point in their life at the least!

Favorite Features

Soft top, the stock off-roading capabilities, the turn radius and overall length of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

New fuel injection system (spark plugs and wires, distibutor cap) for improved gas mileage, exhuast for horsepower.

Best Car I ever owned
By Mike

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Other than a cracked manifold, I have not had major repairs. One single rust spot. I painted myself and covered with a cheap rocker panel. It actually improved the appearance and practically looks new. Hard to believe it's 10 years old.

Favorite Features

Affordable adventure. Looks good on the road and runs good off the road. Good heat in winter even with soft top. Love to take the top down in the summer!

Suggested Improvements

I replaced my 10-year-old soft top recently. Still lets water in. Doesn't bother me much though.

Great Vehicle
By dw

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I think the Sahara is great. Took a few times driving to get used to it and appreciate it. The inline 6 has plenty of power. Hard top is great for the winter, soft top fun in the summer, especially when down. Handles good, but you do have to be cautious in bad conditions, like any vehicle. Great in the snow. No mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

I love the fact I can do a u-turn anywhere. Super fun to have the top down. Shift on the fly 4-wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Add rear disk brakes. Make the top easier to put up and down.

Jeep - There's Only One
By Jeeper4Life

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Wrangler for about 4 years now. I must say it is my favorite vehicle i have ever owned. if you are looking for good gas mileage do not buy this vehicle. it is as aerodynamic as a brick. However if you want the go anywhere do anything capability this is the vehicle for you. I have a 4" lift kit and 33" tires on my 4 cylinder which do just fine but if I had to do it again I would have bought the 4.0 liter.

Favorite Features

Taking of the doors and top. That go anywhere, do anything attitude.

Suggested Improvements

Offer bigger, more aggressive wheels and tires from the factory like the Rubicon. The bumpers and black fenders tend to fade in a short amount of time.

Gotta love a Jeep
By mpyusko

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

The ride comfort will make your teeth chatter, but let's face it ... if you are looking to buy one of these, you are more likely concerned about being able to go anywhere than be comfortable. The 4 cylinder I have does about 21mpg highway and 17 city. I've had it for a year and a half and all I've replaced are the tires (when I bought it). It currently has 125,000 miles on it and runs like a top.

Favorite Features

Removable top and doors. 4WD. The four cylinder engine is strong enough to idle through a potato field without touching the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank.