1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Fun
By Richard the first on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have my Jeep for six years now. It has over 110,000 miles but it's still running strong. Sure there were a few things went wrong, I had to replace the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold. Overall, it's a great vehicle. I love the short wheel base that allows me to fit into the tightest parking space in the parking nightmare downtown Boston. I love the go-any-where that allows me to park on the most ridicules ice and snow covered spot no other car can get to, and best of all, I don't have to shovel for hours to dig out my Jeep after a big snow strom.

Fun 2 Drive
By Sharkie on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I was impressed how smooth this Jeep drove after driving some of the older models with the leaf springs. Jeep has come a long way. This machine really knows how to handle rough terrain. The top still needs much work to make it easy to bring up and down.

Crashed
By christopherh on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I really enjoyed this jeep at 94,000 miles it was still going strong. I was hit in the passenger side by another car that went through a stop sign. At 55mph the jeep spun around went off the road and rolled 2 times due to a ravine. I walked away from the accident. The jeep really protected me.

AWESOME
By mousmc on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Great vehicle! Gets good gas mileage. Comfortable ride. No maintenance problems. Easy to clean. Plenty of power.

great buy
By fun fun fun on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep is great. Most fun vehicle I've ever driven. 20 mpg. Great in snow, great in the summer too with top off. Awesome vehicle.

The Fun Money Pit
By Jennafrito on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

From my experience with my 1997 Wrangler, and through discussion with the dealers, and my dad (a certified master mechanic) I have learned that this vehicle is a disaster. Since I purchased the car 1 1/2 years ago, I have had four major problems that totaled over $1,500. The dealer said that since 1997 was the first year for the new model, it was riddled with design flaws as they were trying to still work the bugs out. Instead of minor repair, the company makes you replace the entire system that is defective, which results in a hefty fee, and the company will not pay for it.

I'd always wanted one...
By jstevep00 on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I always wanted a Jeep and finally I bought the 97 Wrangler used a few months ago. I'm happy so far. I love driving it and actually think the noise and discomfort aren't nearly as bad as I thought they'd be, even with my soft top. I love off-roading it (spins donuts really well due to the short wheelbase), but haven't done any hardcore stuff yet. Love driving in summer with the top down and the heat in the winter kicks butt. Fun, comfortable, and more versatile and unique than anything in it's price range. I agree, a little weak with the 2.5 and gas mileage still sucks.

great all around suv
By jeepgeek2002 on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Great for city drives as well as long distance drives. I drove mine from NC to GA to FL then back to NC during period i had it. Its comfortable considering it has bigger tires and you cant expect performance with a vehicle with aerodynamics of a brick. Offroad: if it be going camping or the beach, you cant beat it. Shift on the fly 4wd hi or stop and shift 4Low for rocks or slippery terrain. I went places with my jeep that i wouldnt have tried with any other SUV.

mattman
By mattman on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle two years ago from the original owner with 74,000 miles. It runs great and has given me no problems. I have all of the records since I purchased the vehicle regarding oil changes, etc. It is alot of fun to drive, especially with the top down. During the cold winter months, the heater works great!

NEVER BRAKE DOWN OR GET STUCK
By 4xfun on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

if you want a car that will always get you where you want to go buy a wrangler. get a 4.0 it has a stronger engine. I have alittle over 96k miles and the engine is still going strong, Its never had engine problems.if you cant deal with a bumpy ride dont by an suv,because jeep is the grandfather of the suv's. Fun in the winter(4x4 in the snow) and fun in the summer top down and doors off buy hard top and an after market soft top (best top) because it comes with full metal doors