Used 1997 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1997 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Most Helpful|
There truely is only one Jeep
By Stephen "Slacker"

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '97 TJ Jeep (her name is Jessie) with 86,000 miles in 2004. My ex-wife used to say I loved my Jeep more than her. Well, apparently she was right...I still have the Jeep! It now has 162,000 miles on it and runs stronger than ever. The 4.0 may not be fast, but it will pull trees out of the ground and get you out of the stickiest situations. There are very few vehicles out there that generate such a since of pride, excitement, and comradery as a Jeep. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. For those who have a Jeep (wrangler) it is customary to waive at other wrangler's you pass on the road. I know you're checking out my Jeep so don't forget to waive, you are family now.

Favorite Features

Truly unstoppable mud and snow machine! I love the versatility! I can ride with the doors on/off, with the top up/down, with windows on/off in any combination I choose. There also is a plethora of irresistible aftermarket accessories to customize the Jeep Wrangler.

Suggested Improvements

Hmmm. The engineers have done there job exceptionally well every since 1941. My only complaint is comfort, but it's not a Cadillac now is it. Nor do I want it to be. Any improvements I would suggest are easily accomplished with aftermarket parts of which there is no shortage.

Hurst
By Taylor Hurst

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

No power steering but very good off road. I think it is good for someone who likes to off road because it has a lift kit and spotlights.

Favorite Features

A good stereo and nice seats. The big tires that it has on it are cool and the suspension is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning. Needs to be a v-6 but it also needs to be jacked up off the ground more.

local car
By pds

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

research what you need before buying this jeep. Not a highway or commuter car. Not good on wet roads. (other than deep snow)

Favorite Features

fun to drive locally. Great on the beach and deep snow.

Suggested Improvements

poor gas milage, better storage

dont buy it !!
By robert mcneil

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

jeep sells a ton of these cars and doesnt care that the transmission etc all die young...mine died at 59000...my honda has 270000 and is all original

Favorite Features

fun

Suggested Improvements

make a good engine and transmission

GOOD OFF AND ON ROAD VEHICLE
By JULIUS

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I ALWAYS WANTED TO BUY A SUV THAT CAN HANDLE OFF-ROAD AND ON-ROAD. I HAD A INFINITY QX4 WHICH WAS VERY GOOD FOR ON- ROAD, BUT NOT GOOD IN A OFF-ROAD. AFTER THAT I DECIDED TO BUY SOMETHING FOR BOTH WAY. AND I HAD TWO CHOICES ONE IS HUMMER AND OTHER ONE IS JEEP WRANGLER. BUT THE PRICE WAYS JEEP WAS MUCH CHEAPER TO GET, AND IT HANDLES THE OFF- ROAD LIKE IT WAS BUILD FOR IT. IF YOU DARE TO TAKE IT TO THE OFF-ROAD, YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE SAME KIND OF FUN IN ON-R0AD. THE ONLY PROBLEM IT HAS IS, IF YOU HAVE SOFT TOP, IT MAKES A LOT OF NOISE ON THE FREEWAY DRIVING. BUT, IF YOU TAKE THE TOP OFF, THERE ARE LOTS OF FUN TOO. MOST OF ALL I'M VERY VERY HAPPY WITH IT.

Favorite Features

IMPROVED DASH, VERY VERY GOOD LOOKING EXTERIOR DESIGN, EASY TO TAKE THE TOP OFF.

Suggested Improvements

IT SHOULD COMES WITH OFF-ROAD TIRES.