1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Bulletproof! Best purchase ive ever made
By JeeperTJ97 on 10/24/07 17:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 97 TJ Sport 4.0 in August of 07 with 205k on the odometer. It's my daily driver and weekend getaway vehicle. I have a 4" lift on 33" tires and average 15.2 mpg not bad. It fires up every morning, has all the power you need. Most capable stock vehicle ever produced. Solid front axle, strong drivetrain. Built to last. I now have nearly 215k and its perfect. does not leak or burn oil, very strong engine, trans, and tcase. Have been on some harsh trails, deep mud and snow and have not even come close to being stuck. This is my 2nd wrangler

Built Like a Tank.. Runs forever
By Jepper68 on 10/09/07 12:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep from the original owner with 205,000. Mine is a sport 4.0 5-speed. It has a 4" dick cepek lift with 33's. Runs perfect i get between 13-16 mpg in town. Original engine, transmission, clutch, and differentials. Ive already put 10k on my wrangler and still keeps running like a tank. Taken it on some nasty trails, up in the high country, through the sand at the beach. Parts are cheap for jeeps and easy to install. Cant get a more reliable vehicle built today. The 4.0I6 is good for 3-450k serviced reguarly.

I love my Wrangler!
By jeepfreak97 on 09/25/07 13:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep. I am a teenage guy that loves the rough and rugged feel. It is just awesome to go where most vehicles have no hope of going.

This thing is built like a tank
By Ryan on 09/09/07 08:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Well I own a 97 TJ sport with the 4.0L I6 (aka bulletproof) with a 5-speed manual transmission. My Jeep just rolled over to 206,000 and the only thing I need to replace is the muffler. Engine starts as good as an 06 with 500 miles, I reccomend a deep cycle marine battery. Very powerful on the low end. Accelerates quickly. Unbelievably fun to drive. Will literally go anywhere.. I can blow FJ Cruisers away offroad.

My Favourite Vehicle Ever
By mozeby on 08/24/07 06:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep after graduating about 8 years ago. The TJ was only 2 years old with 20K on it. I had to get a few minor recalls taken car of first (water leak on passenger footwell) but since then it has been rock solid. It now has 95000K and still runs like the day I got it. Even the suspension has held up the same. My only complaint is the paint quality and rust problems. I live in Canada and snow and salt really are not it's friends. Have to undercoat it every year or it will rust. Will probably last me long enough to give to my kids, or if I break down to buy a new Wrangler.

I love my Jeep!
By surrealistic_star@ya on 08/09/07 13:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep is the best vehicle I have had. I have, unfortuatley, been rear-ended twice with absolutly no damage to the Jeep at all. It's stock but still a beast off-road, gas isn't too bad. It takes me 45(give or take) to fill up and I get about 250 to a tank around town. 100 miles on the freeway uses about 1/4 tank. The convienence of the soft top is great and fun! I definitely suggest anyone have one at some point in their life at the least!

Best Car I ever owned
By Mike on 04/26/07 09:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Other than a cracked manifold, I have not had major repairs. One single rust spot. I painted myself and covered with a cheap rocker panel. It actually improved the appearance and practically looks new. Hard to believe it's 10 years old.

Great Vehicle
By dw on 12/28/06 20:40 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I think the Sahara is great. Took a few times driving to get used to it and appreciate it. The inline 6 has plenty of power. Hard top is great for the winter, soft top fun in the summer, especially when down. Handles good, but you do have to be cautious in bad conditions, like any vehicle. Great in the snow. No mechanical problems.

Jeep - There's Only One
By Jeeper4Life on 08/28/06 18:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Wrangler for about 4 years now. I must say it is my favorite vehicle i have ever owned. if you are looking for good gas mileage do not buy this vehicle. it is as aerodynamic as a brick. However if you want the go anywhere do anything capability this is the vehicle for you. I have a 4" lift kit and 33" tires on my 4 cylinder which do just fine but if I had to do it again I would have bought the 4.0 liter.

Gotta love a Jeep
By mpyusko on 03/15/06 10:17 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

The ride comfort will make your teeth chatter, but let's face it ... if you are looking to buy one of these, you are more likely concerned about being able to go anywhere than be comfortable. The 4 cylinder I have does about 21mpg highway and 17 city. I've had it for a year and a half and all I've replaced are the tires (when I bought it). It currently has 125,000 miles on it and runs like a top.