Used 1997 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

great jeep
By wrangler4x4me2003

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Always owned a Jeep, cj7, yj, and Cherokee. But never thought of owning a tj. Once bought I love it right away. Great performance, strong, comfortable, great in the snow, and smooth driving down the hwy, even great on the offroad. I would buy one again if anything Major happens.

convertible, comfort, style, repairing,

nothen.

New owner
By Mr. "D"

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I just replaced my 2003 Jeep Liberty for a 97 Sahara and I don't regret it. I enjoy driving a little more and can't wait to find where to store its hardtop so that I can enjoy its soft top and go topless on weekends to enjoy Puerto Rico's year-around tropical weather. I am considering a 4" lift and some 33s, but I fear affecting the MPGs too much. I might just get some traction tires for the Rubicon 16" rims it has now add a header, a KN intake and call it Christmas. Other than that just some TLC a nice carpet and catch me if you can.

Better fuel economy on the 4.0L than the 3.8L Liberty. That "Wanna get fresh" (being topless and dirty) personality that it has. Just like I like my women. :D

I don't know enough about mechanics to suggest. I did consider an eight cylinder CJ-7 before this one. Maybe a little more punch under the hood would be nice.

love it ? hell yeah !!!
By 0llll0

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this used 1997 Jeep wrangler se with the little 2.5 and a five speed man. Trans.. A little over 3 years ago the money was well spent. And I say that with a smile. Have put about 5 grand into it for the suspension and wheels soft top 33" tires with a 4" lift .. Have to remind myself its not a sports car and the gas mileage is Rather good. Will I buy another Jeep. Hell yes.

the go any where feeling . that turn on a dime. and easy parking (short wheel base) the style of the jeep hasn't changed much

fuel consumption for the 2.5 its rather harsh. seating isn't very comfortable. and isn't very roomy.

There truely is only one Jeep
By Stephen "Slacker"

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '97 TJ Jeep (her name is Jessie) with 86,000 miles in 2004. My ex-wife used to say I loved my Jeep more than her. Well, apparently she was right...I still have the Jeep! It now has 162,000 miles on it and runs stronger than ever. The 4.0 may not be fast, but it will pull trees out of the ground and get you out of the stickiest situations. There are very few vehicles out there that generate such a since of pride, excitement, and comradery as a Jeep. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. For those who have a Jeep (wrangler) it is customary to waive at other wrangler's you pass on the road. I know you're checking out my Jeep so don't forget to waive, you are family now.

Truly unstoppable mud and snow machine! I love the versatility! I can ride with the doors on/off, with the top up/down, with windows on/off in any combination I choose. There also is a plethora of irresistible aftermarket accessories to customize the Jeep Wrangler.

Hmmm. The engineers have done there job exceptionally well every since 1941. My only complaint is comfort, but it's not a Cadillac now is it. Nor do I want it to be. Any improvements I would suggest are easily accomplished with aftermarket parts of which there is no shortage.

so-so
By past wrangler fan

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

This was my first car. It has an amazing turning radius and was extremely to maneuver and park. Never have to worry about getting stuck, and girls like it; it's a convertible!! But it's not perfect. The 4-banger couldn't beat a slug, and every bump is felt. Since I got my jeep 2 years ago I put new wheels, tires, stabilizer, shocks, radio system, side fenders, and some minor things. Jeep made this car for strict off roading. The 22 mpg isn't bad for a truck but the EXTREMELY bumpy ride on the road, feel every turn, and overheating at 80 mph can get annoying.

Classic exterior looks great, steering wheel in perfect position, perfect height for practically no blind spots, and amazing turning radius.

More horsepower on the 4 banger, intermittent windsheild wipers, more leg room, I'm kinda tall at 6'2 but i had to get the seat at a body shop moved back b/c each time i hit the brakes at all my shins were crushed on the lower part of the dash. Also, ANTI- LOCKING BRAKES. Brakes lock up really easy!