Used 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Great little tank
By katiec3

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have only had her about a month, and this is my first car. I always wanted a jeep and waited until I found a good deal, and I can honestly say it was well worth the money even though she's 15 years old. My boyfriend calls her "the tank" and makes fun of me for driving it, but he just doesn't get it! It's not the smoothest ride, it doesn't accelerate fast, and she has her quirks, but we'll see what he says when I'm pulling his brand new chevy cruze out of snowbanks all winter, offroading by myself all summer and mowing down zombies during the apocolypse. It runs like a top and so far, I am very pleased. I'm officially a Jeep Girl!

Great Find
By algobull

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I got this wrangler with 68K Mi about 2 years ago. I know have over 90K and it feels like it could go on forever. It was only supposed to be a weekend car, but after I lost my job, it's my everyday driver, and I love it. I live in Florida and people always look at me with envy when driving it down the road. I got an automatic because I blew 3 clutches in in 4 years on my previous jeep... I found out later it's due to a minor and fixable repair in the master cylinder... I do miss the 5 speed though, better power and much better MPG's. Even young girls love it (not as much as my old mustang, but hey)... and I'm glad it's slow because fast cars are def not a good idea for me (i.e. 3 clutches)

Best Ride Ever!
By Jeff

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep Wrangler as a demo in 1998. I've put 188,000 miles on it and have been more then happy with it since day 1. It goes everywhere, from the tropics to winter blizzards. I've owned many high end vehicles and get more enjoyment out of this Jeep then any of the others!

Favorite Features

An incredible variety of after market parts have made my Jeep run better then stock. No other vehicle comes close to what you can do with this Jeep if you want to personalize it! Looks great, runs great, feels great! (And my wife loves it)

Suggested Improvements

Don't mess with a good thing!

Its a JEEP thing(you wouldnt understand)
By JEEP MAN

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I LOVE my Jeep..got a kick out of the last review i read about a guys jeep with a bad tranny..mine has 198000 miles on it and have NEVER had a transmission problem. I live in Georgia and ole Blacky will go anywhere i want it to go.It is after all a hummer rescue vehicle..My jeep has had 2 problems in all the years and miles i've put on it.,I had to have brushes put in the alternator,and i replaced the seal in the steering box once.It dosen't have a lift kit on it and i run 1050s on it..When i first got it it was one of about 6 or 7 jeeps in my area of NW Georgia.Now Jeeps are EVERYWHERE.and mine still looks the best..LOL..want a great reliable FUN vehicle?? Buy a JEEP

Favorite Features

Looks,soft top(the round headlights) the name JEEP.the 4.0 is strong and a great engine

Suggested Improvements

stop making the 4 door buses an calling them jeeps

There truely is only one Jeep
By Stephen "Slacker"

1997 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '97 TJ Jeep (her name is Jessie) with 86,000 miles in 2004. My ex-wife used to say I loved my Jeep more than her. Well, apparently she was right...I still have the Jeep! It now has 162,000 miles on it and runs stronger than ever. The 4.0 may not be fast, but it will pull trees out of the ground and get you out of the stickiest situations. There are very few vehicles out there that generate such a since of pride, excitement, and comradery as a Jeep. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. For those who have a Jeep (wrangler) it is customary to waive at other wrangler's you pass on the road. I know you're checking out my Jeep so don't forget to waive, you are family now.

Favorite Features

Truly unstoppable mud and snow machine! I love the versatility! I can ride with the doors on/off, with the top up/down, with windows on/off in any combination I choose. There also is a plethora of irresistible aftermarket accessories to customize the Jeep Wrangler.

Suggested Improvements

Hmmm. The engineers have done there job exceptionally well every since 1941. My only complaint is comfort, but it's not a Cadillac now is it. Nor do I want it to be. Any improvements I would suggest are easily accomplished with aftermarket parts of which there is no shortage.