1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
New owner
By Mr. "D" on 09/01/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I just replaced my 2003 Jeep Liberty for a 97 Sahara and I don't regret it. I enjoy driving a little more and can't wait to find where to store its hardtop so that I can enjoy its soft top and go topless on weekends to enjoy Puerto Rico's year-around tropical weather. I am considering a 4" lift and some 33s, but I fear affecting the MPGs too much. I might just get some traction tires for the Rubicon 16" rims it has now add a header, a KN intake and call it Christmas. Other than that just some TLC a nice carpet and catch me if you can.

Never Go Back
By Mark on 02/16/08 09:19 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I had always wanted a Wrangler and when I got one I was more than pleased. I was a little nervous to get one with all the problems I had heard about with the Cherokees, but, now that I have a Wrangler, I will never go back to another vehicle. I live in Alaska and the Jeep works great on and off the road. Heat is great even at - 40F, fuel economy is alright, very fun to drive. No problems so far even after I got in an accident. The only damage I had was a dented bumper. Other vehicle could not say the same. The only things I could complain about would be a better stereo package (hard to hear with the top down) and the amount of rust on the underside. Overall, an awesome reliable vehicle

My Favourite Vehicle Ever
By mozeby on 08/24/07 06:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep after graduating about 8 years ago. The TJ was only 2 years old with 20K on it. I had to get a few minor recalls taken car of first (water leak on passenger footwell) but since then it has been rock solid. It now has 95000K and still runs like the day I got it. Even the suspension has held up the same. My only complaint is the paint quality and rust problems. I live in Canada and snow and salt really are not it's friends. Have to undercoat it every year or it will rust. Will probably last me long enough to give to my kids, or if I break down to buy a new Wrangler.

Great Vehicle
By dw on 12/28/06 20:40 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I think the Sahara is great. Took a few times driving to get used to it and appreciate it. The inline 6 has plenty of power. Hard top is great for the winter, soft top fun in the summer, especially when down. Handles good, but you do have to be cautious in bad conditions, like any vehicle. Great in the snow. No mechanical problems.

Hurst
By Taylor Hurst on 02/27/06 08:12 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

No power steering but very good off road. I think it is good for someone who likes to off road because it has a lift kit and spotlights.

My '97 Wrangler
By Aaron on 06/23/05 12:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I am very pleased with my purchase. It is a well put together machine and it is a ton of fun to drive. The only drawback is the fuel economy, but it's still worth it. I use it as my daily driver and on weekends take it off-road for a little fun.

Love it!
By showell on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

fun to drive, love it, would buy another

great all around suv
By jeepgeek2002 on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Great for city drives as well as long distance drives. I drove mine from NC to GA to FL then back to NC during period i had it. Its comfortable considering it has bigger tires and you cant expect performance with a vehicle with aerodynamics of a brick. Offroad: if it be going camping or the beach, you cant beat it. Shift on the fly 4wd hi or stop and shift 4Low for rocks or slippery terrain. I went places with my jeep that i wouldnt have tried with any other SUV.

A rockbashed/mud covered 97 Wrangler
By muddyjeepbob on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

My 97 Jeep Wrangler has been through the mill. In the past five years I have beaten this vehicle to death and it comes back for more. My Jeep has offroaded on many medium to high difficulty trails in the mountains and deserts near San Diego. It shows battle scars from many encounters with rocks and desert cactus. It has traveled to 44 states (3 cross-country runs). It has never broke down. The A/C works great even crawling on 120 degree offroad trails in the deserts. It has plenty of power and gets decent mileage (18-22 mpg) on highway (as long as I keep it at 60-65 mph.) It's it Jeep Thing.

Not everyone gets it
By Jerry S on 03/18/02 15:41 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

I enjoy my Jeep. It has been in the family from the very beginning. My father bought it in '97 and I took it when he bought a Cherokee this year. There has been no major break down of any kind and it holds its own on the highway. The straight 6 provides enough power to pass and the raw design allows for a lot of fun!!!