Used 1997 Jeep Wrangler SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1997 Jeep Wrangler

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Highly Reliable, Highly Fun!
By krakenbound

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I picked up a stock 97 TJ SE (2.5L, 5-speed, No A/C) with 140k for $4k. I then spent $8k and two years of hobby time on full lockers, gears, suspension, winch, rack, bumpers, etc, etc. It is highly reliable; starts fast and never hicups. The engine is easy to work on, and striping out the interior bits is also quite easy for upgrades and fixes. A Reman motor will only cost you $1500 and a weekend to swap it, or half that for a transmission, so long term cost to run it is dirt cheap, vs. the 6cyl w/auto at twice that price, or my 1/2 ton truck, which costs three times that to rebuild. It's not plush or fast, but it crawls up anything, gets lots of admiration and ride requests! FUN!

Favorite Features

- Lots of elbow room in the engine compartment - Simple and durable interior - Lots of aftermarket support

Suggested Improvements

It's a Jeep. Any "improvements" will just be pricey comfort and convenience items for city folks trying to look like they off-road. Keep it simple, Keep it Jeep!

Overall worth every penny
By timo88

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 97 wrangler SE a couple weeks ago with 115k miles on it. it had a 4" lift and 33x 12.5 tires on it. over all it is a fun ride and even better when i drop the soft top. the only issue i have is a common one with jeeps. the infamous death wobble. every now and then i the jeep will go into a violent shake that is only stopped by slowing down. after plenty of research i have found that is a moderatly easy and cheap fix. about $375. kevinsoffroad has kits for this specific problem that are supposed to fix it completely. i will be installing mine tomorrow and im sure ill see an improvement. even with this problem i still can rely on it for a everyday driver.

Favorite Features

easy to drive, easy and cheap to fix, and its unstoppable offroad.

Suggested Improvements

needs more lockable interior storage.

Fun unless on the highway...
By erik1493

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Jeeps are great, fun, and reliable cars. The ride is bumpy, but if you buy padded seat covers you will be VERY comfortable. Don't, and I repeat, do not, get a Jeep with 4 cylinder engine. My jeep has the v4 and honestly, I can barely pass cars on the highway at 60mph

Favorite Features

Totally customizable. Reminds me of Jurassic park, no joke, favorite movie :D. Fun and can go offroad.

Suggested Improvements

Add a center console. Better mpg

Frank the Tank
By PAPA SMURF

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep and it has a 4 cylinder engine in it and it has plenty of power, it can always use more, but really I dont see that big of a difference... This truck makes you feel like your driving a tank and is a great 2nd vehicle but could easily be a primary vehicle. WARNING: I heard that the hood vent gets clogged and lets water in, it didnt happen to me, but my new soft top window seals let water in 2 days after I bought it. I did some research and It happens a lot! To all years! That ok cause there are drain plugs and I use it for trailing so its no biggie for me, but I would have been mad if this was my primary vehicle. PS its not that hard to fix so dont worry...

Favorite Features

Its like a tank and very reliable I highly recommend!

Suggested Improvements

well I have a 97 so I guess they have made all the improvements they need...

Been through hell and back
By bigfortdawg

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have a 97 tj 2.5l 5 speed this was my first Jeep/car I have replaced the engine twice once at 27,000 and again at 93,000 it now has been converted to an off-road vehicle with 33-13.50 ltbs and a 5 inch lift oh yea I had to replace the computer at 140,000 that was fun to track down, so I still got it and it's running good at 156,000

Favorite Features

no doors,4-low ,this beast will go anywhere as long as it isn't deep mud, all in all i don't think i will ever part with this jeep i just love it

Suggested Improvements

More leg room, better seats, tilt steering wheel, more durable soft top