1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Great little tank
By katiec3 on 12/14/12 21:00 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have only had her about a month, and this is my first car. I always wanted a jeep and waited until I found a good deal, and I can honestly say it was well worth the money even though she's 15 years old. My boyfriend calls her "the tank" and makes fun of me for driving it, but he just doesn't get it! It's not the smoothest ride, it doesn't accelerate fast, and she has her quirks, but we'll see what he says when I'm pulling his brand new chevy cruze out of snowbanks all winter, offroading by myself all summer and mowing down zombies during the apocolypse. It runs like a top and so far, I am very pleased. I'm officially a Jeep Girl!

Great Find
By algobull on 04/04/11 14:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I got this wrangler with 68K Mi about 2 years ago. I know have over 90K and it feels like it could go on forever. It was only supposed to be a weekend car, but after I lost my job, it's my everyday driver, and I love it. I live in Florida and people always look at me with envy when driving it down the road. I got an automatic because I blew 3 clutches in in 4 years on my previous jeep... I found out later it's due to a minor and fixable repair in the master cylinder... I do miss the 5 speed though, better power and much better MPG's. Even young girls love it (not as much as my old mustang, but hey)... and I'm glad it's slow because fast cars are def not a good idea for me (i.e. 3 clutches)

Best Ride Ever!
By Jeff on 06/23/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep Wrangler as a demo in 1998. I've put 188,000 miles on it and have been more then happy with it since day 1. It goes everywhere, from the tropics to winter blizzards. I've owned many high end vehicles and get more enjoyment out of this Jeep then any of the others!

Its a JEEP thing(you wouldnt understand)
By JEEP MAN on 02/18/10 14:00 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I LOVE my Jeep..got a kick out of the last review i read about a guys jeep with a bad tranny..mine has 198000 miles on it and have NEVER had a transmission problem. I live in Georgia and ole Blacky will go anywhere i want it to go.It is after all a hummer rescue vehicle..My jeep has had 2 problems in all the years and miles i've put on it.,I had to have brushes put in the alternator,and i replaced the seal in the steering box once.It dosen't have a lift kit on it and i run 1050s on it..When i first got it it was one of about 6 or 7 jeeps in my area of NW Georgia.Now Jeeps are EVERYWHERE.and mine still looks the best..LOL..want a great reliable FUN vehicle?? Buy a JEEP

There truely is only one Jeep
By Stephen "Slacker" on 06/02/09 03:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '97 TJ Jeep (her name is Jessie) with 86,000 miles in 2004. My ex-wife used to say I loved my Jeep more than her. Well, apparently she was right...I still have the Jeep! It now has 162,000 miles on it and runs stronger than ever. The 4.0 may not be fast, but it will pull trees out of the ground and get you out of the stickiest situations. There are very few vehicles out there that generate such a since of pride, excitement, and comradery as a Jeep. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. For those who have a Jeep (wrangler) it is customary to waive at other wrangler's you pass on the road. I know you're checking out my Jeep so don't forget to waive, you are family now.

Best vehicle ive ever owned
By BB on 09/26/08 11:20 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Always wanted one and finally got one with 98,000 miles on it and it runs like new. The 4.0 has a great amount of torque. It is the best vehicle i have owned, I love it. It drives my buddy crazy because his 93 ford ranger got stuck for 3 hours in this mud hole that i made it thorough effortlessly in 2 wheel drive, he was so mad. Then i drove it though the river when it was high from a month of rain the water came up over the hood and halfway up the door it scared the heck out of me i i thought i was for sure going to take in water but still i am never doing that again i like it to much to trash it. Thanks Jeep.. for such a great Vehicle.

Amazing Jeep
By JeepOwner112 on 01/02/08 19:35 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Got it a year ago with 84,000 miles now have 94,000 miles on it, and love it. In Wisconsin theres nothing like putting the top down in the summer and throwing it in 4WD in the winter snow. I like how everyone looks at you b/c they all want one for themselves, and everyone should at some point in their life. But there have been a few reliability issues, but should live forever if I keep up on routine maintenance, I know a guy with 290,000 miles on his.

Bulletproof! Best purchase ive ever made
By JeeperTJ97 on 10/24/07 17:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 97 TJ Sport 4.0 in August of 07 with 205k on the odometer. It's my daily driver and weekend getaway vehicle. I have a 4" lift on 33" tires and average 15.2 mpg not bad. It fires up every morning, has all the power you need. Most capable stock vehicle ever produced. Solid front axle, strong drivetrain. Built to last. I now have nearly 215k and its perfect. does not leak or burn oil, very strong engine, trans, and tcase. Have been on some harsh trails, deep mud and snow and have not even come close to being stuck. This is my 2nd wrangler

Built Like a Tank.. Runs forever
By Jepper68 on 10/09/07 12:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep from the original owner with 205,000. Mine is a sport 4.0 5-speed. It has a 4" dick cepek lift with 33's. Runs perfect i get between 13-16 mpg in town. Original engine, transmission, clutch, and differentials. Ive already put 10k on my wrangler and still keeps running like a tank. Taken it on some nasty trails, up in the high country, through the sand at the beach. Parts are cheap for jeeps and easy to install. Cant get a more reliable vehicle built today. The 4.0I6 is good for 3-450k serviced reguarly.

I love my Wrangler!
By jeepfreak97 on 09/25/07 13:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep. I am a teenage guy that loves the rough and rugged feel. It is just awesome to go where most vehicles have no hope of going.