1997 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Highly Reliable, Highly Fun!
By krakenbound on 07/28/13 00:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I picked up a stock 97 TJ SE (2.5L, 5-speed, No A/C) with 140k for $4k. I then spent $8k and two years of hobby time on full lockers, gears, suspension, winch, rack, bumpers, etc, etc. It is highly reliable; starts fast and never hicups. The engine is easy to work on, and striping out the interior bits is also quite easy for upgrades and fixes. A Reman motor will only cost you $1500 and a weekend to swap it, or half that for a transmission, so long term cost to run it is dirt cheap, vs. the 6cyl w/auto at twice that price, or my 1/2 ton truck, which costs three times that to rebuild. It's not plush or fast, but it crawls up anything, gets lots of admiration and ride requests! FUN!

Overall worth every penny
By timo88 on 03/20/13 05:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 97 wrangler SE a couple weeks ago with 115k miles on it. it had a 4" lift and 33x 12.5 tires on it. over all it is a fun ride and even better when i drop the soft top. the only issue i have is a common one with jeeps. the infamous death wobble. every now and then i the jeep will go into a violent shake that is only stopped by slowing down. after plenty of research i have found that is a moderatly easy and cheap fix. about $375. kevinsoffroad has kits for this specific problem that are supposed to fix it completely. i will be installing mine tomorrow and im sure ill see an improvement. even with this problem i still can rely on it for a everyday driver.

Fun unless on the highway...
By erik1493 on 06/23/11 15:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Jeeps are great, fun, and reliable cars. The ride is bumpy, but if you buy padded seat covers you will be VERY comfortable. Don't, and I repeat, do not, get a Jeep with 4 cylinder engine. My jeep has the v4 and honestly, I can barely pass cars on the highway at 60mph

Frank the Tank
By PAPA SMURF on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep and it has a 4 cylinder engine in it and it has plenty of power, it can always use more, but really I dont see that big of a difference... This truck makes you feel like your driving a tank and is a great 2nd vehicle but could easily be a primary vehicle. WARNING: I heard that the hood vent gets clogged and lets water in, it didnt happen to me, but my new soft top window seals let water in 2 days after I bought it. I did some research and It happens a lot! To all years! That ok cause there are drain plugs and I use it for trailing so its no biggie for me, but I would have been mad if this was my primary vehicle. PS its not that hard to fix so dont worry...

Been through hell and back
By bigfortdawg on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I have a 97 tj 2.5l 5 speed this was my first Jeep/car I have replaced the engine twice once at 27,000 and again at 93,000 it now has been converted to an off-road vehicle with 33-13.50 ltbs and a 5 inch lift oh yea I had to replace the computer at 140,000 that was fun to track down, so I still got it and it's running good at 156,000

Good car
By Jeremy on 04/15/10 07:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had it about a year now and I love it. Everyone in my high school is jealous because they can't do anything near what I can. Sitting on 35" tires and a 4 inch lift kit it's unstoppable.

great jeep
By wrangler4x4me2003 on 12/08/09 22:01 PM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Always owned a Jeep, cj7, yj, and Cherokee. But never thought of owning a tj. Once bought I love it right away. Great performance, strong, comfortable, great in the snow, and smooth driving down the hwy, even great on the offroad. I would buy one again if anything Major happens.

love it ? hell yeah !!!
By 0llll0 on 08/27/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this used 1997 Jeep wrangler se with the little 2.5 and a five speed man. Trans.. A little over 3 years ago the money was well spent. And I say that with a smile. Have put about 5 grand into it for the suspension and wheels soft top 33" tires with a 4" lift .. Have to remind myself its not a sports car and the gas mileage is Rather good. Will I buy another Jeep. Hell yes.

so-so
By past wrangler fan on 03/30/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

This was my first car. It has an amazing turning radius and was extremely to maneuver and park. Never have to worry about getting stuck, and girls like it; it's a convertible!! But it's not perfect. The 4-banger couldn't beat a slug, and every bump is felt. Since I got my jeep 2 years ago I put new wheels, tires, stabilizer, shocks, radio system, side fenders, and some minor things. Jeep made this car for strict off roading. The 22 mpg isn't bad for a truck but the EXTREMELY bumpy ride on the road, feel every turn, and overheating at 80 mph can get annoying.

Fun 2nd vehicle
By Frank on 11/09/08 11:06 AM (PST)

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 2dr SUV 4WD

Safer than a motorcycle, able to use more often than a boat. Excellent for farm tours and enjoying the great outdoors. A little more interior room would be nice.Adventure awaits!