Used 1995 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Quality, Fun, & Excellent Driving Machine
By Travis

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 2dr SUV 4WD

Great fun in the summer time when you can take the doors and roof off. Excellent 4wd capabilities enable you to have fun in the winter or take off road excursions without the worries. Great part availability. Excellent, fun, and quality for the first time drivers to the older, mature persons.

Customization is amazing!

May want to look into getting new speakers and radio. I found it to be worthwhile getting two 6x9 to sit on the interior wheel wells like so.

"1995 Rio Grande"
By Acuracee55qt

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 2dr SUV 4WD

I always wanted a Wrangler due to the fact you can drive with the top down and doors off. I'm 24, I love to mountain bike and snowboard. The ride is very rigid on the highway and if you lift it, it gets a little worse. I opted for the 4" Rough Country lift and it's really stiff now. The mileage does suffer after you get bigger tires. 190 miles to the tank on 33's and about 220 miles with 31's. 13-gal tank. The off roading makes up for it. Space is VERY limited. If you can afford one get a 99' or above; so much better with coil springs. 4 cylinder is cheaper for a reason. They got no power at all. Only in low range off road does the gearing make up for it. I have all the tops and doors and they all come in handy.

Reliability is really good. 120k on mine. Cool to go offroad, splash in mud go in the woods and explore. Not too many spots in Jersey. The truck always gets me to the mountain. Everyone always says "I Never rode in a Jeep before." Girls think it's really manly. Small, you can park anywhere. Easy to work on.

Really beats you up because its always cold inside (no insulation). Transmission is weak. Syncro's in tranny go bad. I changed mine and been good ever since. 1997-1998 Wranglers have some of electrical problems. GET THE 6 cylinder, 4 cylinders are dogs. Would buy another if it was a 6 cylinder

Jeep
By Dan

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 2dr SUV 4WD

Very reliable and fun to drive. Great for summer and winter driving. I have never had a major problem. Jeeps are easy to work on and maintain.

Convertible, 4 wheel drive.

Cat converter went bad every year and failed inspection. It was replaced every year under warranty.

Great purchase
By nosolman

1995 Jeep Wrangler S 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with the right mindset: a second vehicle, to enjoy off road and around town with my son. I've enjoyed every minute in my Jeep. Simple to maintain, reliable, and cheap to operate. Highway travel is kept to a minimum, due to road noise and bikini top. Other than that, this vehicle is a joy. Four cylinder is slow off the line, but more than adequate for casual driving and off pavement fun. Gas mileage is reasonable considering gearing (4.10's, stock) and boxy body style. If you're seeking a cheap, around town vehicle, or a great little convertible, it's hard to beat an older body style Jeep. And they're darn near impossible to stop off road.

Simple design and ease of maintenance. Great, functional interior. Reliability still amazes me. When I considered purchasing, I spoke to a number of owners that claimed to have well over 200,000 miles on the 2.5 liter four. And now that I own one myself, I believe it.

I like the articulation and easier ride of the new coil-sprung TJ, but I still enjoy the simplicity of the leaf- sprung YJ. People should do a little homework before they purchase a Wrangler or CJ. They are not a commuter's car or a Lexus. Keep that in mind, and I promise you will enjoy your Jeep.

Happy Owner
By greekslt

1995 Jeep Wrangler S 2dr SUV 4WD

I am owner #2 of a '95 Jeep YJ S, which I bought in 1997. I have used this Jeep in many occupational applications including hauling a light duty trailer for up to 12 hours straight. This Jeep has held up to a remarkable amount of punishment and continues to prove its reliability & ability, & even its safety. I have been in 2 very dangerous accidents (75mph roll-over & T-boned by a 60mph runaway truck) in this Jeep with no injury and astonishingly minimal damage to the vehicle. Mine has over 177K miles and is still going strong. Other than routine maintenance, only repairs have been a replaced alternator, clutch, & steering gear. It looks/works great year-round, & is a blast to drive. Go Jeep.

100 percent steel body, full roll cage, 4 3-point seat belts, plain (tractor-like) interior & dash, convertible top, removable doors, 4x4 high & low, ground clearance, amount of aftermarket accessories available, & vehicle's overall capabilities & adaptabilities.

Needs power steering & the side mirror brackets corrode.