1994 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: Long Term Report on 94 YJ

1994 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

Long Term Report on 94 YJ
By Fred on

1994 Jeep Wrangler S 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this in Mar 1999 after realizing the price of a comparatively aged full size pickup was too high. Found out on the test drive about Jeep waves. Fun to drive, more ways to modify than can you can possibly afford; a great Jeep is built, not bought, and never finished. Auto transmission mount bolts fell out once, holes stripped. Once I identified the issue, I popped in 2 bolts and wrapped 2 giant zip ties around the transmission; problem solved. These Jeeps have amazing offroad capabilities. It only gets better by adding a modest suspension lift, rear-locker, and better tires. I highly suggest having an aftermarket amplified stereo. Deep water dunking cost me one transmission rebuild.

Gives me the freedom to go just about anywhere I want. Offroading is a blast and even more fun with some friends in other 4x4's. Top off on summer draws jealous looks from car drivers. Nothing compares to the solid tube axle articulation found on these YJs.

The 4 cylinder engine needs more power; it is absolutely pathetic for highway. Going uphill is always slow. The 2 auto transmission mount bolts fell out once, allowing the transmission to slop side-to-side till fixed. Transmission rebuilt twice inside 3 years. Hot summers are hard with no A/C. TJ's coil suspension ride better.