Used 1994 Jeep Wrangler S SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

I Love My Wrangler
By tmgj

1994 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

I have my Wrangler as a toy, not a daily driver but whenever the weather is nice, it's my daily driver. The 4 cylinder gets around great in town, slow on the highway but it wasn't made for highway. I have a Rampage bowless soft top that's really nice. A 90's jeep is cheaper than a new 4 wheeler and a lot more fun! Aftermarket parts and modifications are never ending, you can do anything you want to a jeep(if you have the money).

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission, removable doors, everything about the exterior.

Suggested Improvements

It's 19 years old, what's the point of suggesting improvements.

Nail in the coffin of American cars
By BajaMan

1994 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

One of the worst vehicles I have ever owned. Gas mileage was terrible, 15 mpg. Acceleration was terrible. Wind and road noise terrible. Build quality terrible. Reliability terrible. Top took forever to install (like 15 minutes). Had lots of problems with exhaust system. Owned it nine years. Developed an intermittent starting problem. So I finally decided to unload it.

Favorite Features

Was fun to drive and looked nice. 3rd gear held great while going down hills.

Suggested Improvements

I hope Chrysler finally got all the bugs worked out considering this vehicle was in production since 1987.

Still Jeepin' after 11 years
By wulfcity

1994 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep new in 1994. Overall, it has been a great vehicle. It is a little underpowered with the 4 cylinder engine. The 5th gear was replaced at around 75,000 miles. It does handle its own off-roading.

Favorite Features

Soft top, 4WD, tight turing radius.

Suggested Improvements

Beef up the transmission!

Long Term Report on 94 YJ
By Fred

1994 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this in Mar 1999 after realizing the price of a comparatively aged full size pickup was too high. Found out on the test drive about Jeep waves. Fun to drive, more ways to modify than can you can possibly afford; a great Jeep is built, not bought, and never finished. Auto transmission mount bolts fell out once, holes stripped. Once I identified the issue, I popped in 2 bolts and wrapped 2 giant zip ties around the transmission; problem solved. These Jeeps have amazing offroad capabilities. It only gets better by adding a modest suspension lift, rear-locker, and better tires. I highly suggest having an aftermarket amplified stereo. Deep water dunking cost me one transmission rebuild.

Favorite Features

Gives me the freedom to go just about anywhere I want. Offroading is a blast and even more fun with some friends in other 4x4's. Top off on summer draws jealous looks from car drivers. Nothing compares to the solid tube axle articulation found on these YJs.

Suggested Improvements

The 4 cylinder engine needs more power; it is absolutely pathetic for highway. Going uphill is always slow. The 2 auto transmission mount bolts fell out once, allowing the transmission to slop side-to-side till fixed. Transmission rebuilt twice inside 3 years. Hot summers are hard with no A/C. TJ's coil suspension ride better.

Mechanics special???
By MustangChris

1994 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jeep. Off road it is superior to trucks twice its size and cost. However, my Jeep has been highly unrelaible, with constant repair being needed to the point where as much as I like being a Jeeper, if it cant get me to class or home reliably she'll have to go. Much of my problems have to do with its frequent off road adventures, but its a jeep... isnt it supposed to be designed to do that?

Favorite Features

Love the looks, the color, looks great on 33's. Gotta love the Jeep wave.

Suggested Improvements

My Jeep with 64k on it runs like it has 264k on it.