1993 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Review: Fun for the short-term

1993 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Review

Fun for the short-term
By waytac on

1993 Jeep Wrangler 2dr SUV 4WD

I've really enjoyed my '93 Wrangler in the six years I've owned it, but it's cost me a bit: new clutches, emergency brakes, alternator--reasonably above average in the repair cost/budget. It's a better all around vehicle that might appear if you don't have kids, etc. The *big* problem, which is forcing me to sell it for salvage right now, is hideous premature rusting out of the entire undercarriage (I live in New England, in a coastal region, but...). The entire 1/4" metal underbody has rusted to the consistency of paper, and other Wrangler owners have told me of similar experiences. Just 10 years, 70K miles, and the car has been rendered undriveable.

V-6 engine has real kick, much better gas mileage than other SUVs, extremely fun to drive and offroad in.

First, *don't get this car if you live in a salt air or salted road climate*, as rust protection is apparently as bad as it gets. Stock speakers blew very quickly, and would have required complete dash/steering column disasembly to extract/replace.