Used 1993 Jeep Wrangler Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

I Love my Jeep!
By Kevin

1993 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

This little YJ is the ultimate go anywhere, do anything vehicle. I have it all pretty much stock, with slightly oversize tires (235/75/15). The tires aren't even off-road style lugs, they are street tires and this jeep will go anywhere on them. I have only gotten stuck in deep mud, and once high- centered it. If you like to go off-roading this is the best, most affordable, toughest little vehicle for that. If you like to cruise on the highway at 70+ mph this is not the best vehicle for that. Fuel mileage on the highway is dismal, but in town it is acceptable, and off-road fuel mileage is surprisingly good.

Convertible, I have hard top, soft top, and bikini top and its awesome, a top for any weather. It's ability to go anywhere, its amazing what it will do in stock form.

Locking differentials front and rear. I don't think this thing would ever get stuck with good lockers. Every time I've been stuck is because a wheel or two are off the ground, so no power is transferred to the wheels with traction. Other than that, this thing is nearly perfect.

My Toy
By Becky

1993 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I am a 29 year old female and I Purchased my YJ about 6 mos ago with 125,000 mi. when I got it, it needed new axle seals,rear brakes, new fluid, and new u-joints. since Ive done a lot more. Its my favorite Toy ever. Its so easy to work on from changing fluids to changing the timing chain. Everything Ive done to my Jeep I did myself. The only thing I dislike is the internal slave cylinder. I will eventually change to an external(with a new bellhousing). My Jeep is my pride and joy and I love when I get looks from everyone, especially when they find out that I do all the work myself. I better since I took 4 years in auto tech in High school.

Easy to work on and the fact that the hard top comes off. I love the open air.

Internal slave cylinder. Should have thought of external long time ago. More leg room would be nice too!

Go Anywhere
By T-Good

1993 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1993 Jeep Wrangler to pull behind our 2007 Winnie Aspect. The really nice thing is we don't have to run any brake system on it. Our RV is rated at a max 20,000 lb GW and we only have a 14,000 lb RV on a Ford 450 Chassis. Hell, don't even know it's there when tooling down the interstate. Have a modified military tow bar that's permanently attached to the jeep. Folds up and secured by 2 bungee cords. Hangs in there in the draft of the RV. Only loose 2 MPG of 12.6 MPG so 10 MPG with a 26 foot RV with Wrangler in tow is fine with me. I cut the wiring harness to the rear lights system next to the foot brake and attached a 4 wire trailer hookup. It's that easy. Unplug & plug in the trailer

It's small easy to tow & when you get there you're ready for FWD adventure. Love it so I plan an off frame restoration. Can't see buying new & paying all those taxes. This Jeep can do what the new ones can do.

Ours has some rust but hey it's 14 years old. Would like to see a factory rear wiring harness set up for towing.

Love It
By ATVArcticWolfVTA

1993 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I love my Wrangler! I'm 16, and it's my first car. When we bought it(for $2000), it wasn't that great, had been abused. But Wranglers are so easy to revive. I put a 3" lift on, 31" tires, painted it silver, new top, new carpet, added Grand Cherokee seats, complete new stereo system(soundbar, 6x9's, 4x6's, subs, and deck), new bumpers, nerf bars, etc. It may sound like a lot, but it is so much fun, and this is a teenager speaking here! I utterly love gonig topless(leave my doors on, have half doors).

Amazing off-road, love all the customizable options, amazing topless, heat is amazing. Great first vehicle, and when you make it your Jeep...you good nice comments, looks, and compliments. Inline 6 is amazing

Only downfall is the 18/20 MPG

One of the worse vehicles I have owned
By Firefighterjake

1993 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Jeep shortly after graduating from college . . . guess I shouldn't have believed the hype about it being the ultimate off-road vehicle since it was the biggest lemon I have ever owned. In fact, it was this vehicle that made me decide to never own another Chrysler product (well that and my experience with a Dodge Omni and a Dodge Aspen.) Where do I start? Broken motor mounts, terrible service at the local dealership, a blown motor, a broken windshield wiper motor (I know of no one who has ever had to replace their wiper motor!) . . . and this was with minimal off-roading (i.e. old dirt roads). I will admit however taht it was a blast on warm summer days with the top off.

The whole "Jeep" experience . . . having folks wave to you, going "topless" on those warm, summer days . . . unfortunately it didn't make up for all of the Jeep's shortcomings and reliability issues.

I fixed all of the Jeep's reliability and handling issues when I bought my first (and then second) Toyota 4Runner which provided me with reliability, better handling, more features and the ability to go off-road and not worry about breaking down in the middle of nowhere.