Used 1992 Jeep Wrangler Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

1992 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

234K miles and going strong
By David C.

1992 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 92 Wrangler used with 33K miles on it. I've driven it over 200K since and she still purrs like a kitten and looks great after a new paint job a few years back. I'm only a shade tree mechanic with a ratchet set and I find it extremely easy to maintain. The inline 4.0, 6 cylinder engine is the best around. Keep the oil clean and it will take care of you. I just replaced the radiator myself with that same old ratchet set. Biggest and easiest repair I've had to make. I confess she is my second car now but she is also my favorite toy to this day. Plan on keeping her forever and giving it to my 2 year old when he is of age. He's already calling it his Jeep.

Favorite Features

6 cylinder engine full size doors

Suggested Improvements

Door locks get mushy in bad weather. Other than that, I prefer the YJ over the newer TJ.

car check
By mac

1992 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Fun to ride in and to drive. Can go off road and handles road nicely. Nice getaway car for two people.

Favorite Features

Doors are easy to remove.

Suggested Improvements

Hardtop could be easier to remove.

Surprised at Great Reliability
By Kelly

1992 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

We bought our Jeep because of the look, the fun, the "Jeep thing". We thought we were taking a chance with reliability because it wasn't a Japanese import. We were so wrong! This Jeep has been our favorite vehicle for 14 years. We keep saying we are going to sell it - we have two little kids and you can't fit a wagon or many groceries - it isn't a practical family car. But it's so much fun... and it's certainly the last vestige of coolness we have left. Our Jeep has 115,000 miles on it, and I'm shocked to say it has been one of the most reliable cars we've ever had. We've had American sedans, Japanese sedans, and the Jeep continues to amaze and delight us even now.

Favorite Features

FUN! Cool! That nice, big engine always fires right up, no matter how long it has been sitting while we languish in the econo-box and minivan.

Suggested Improvements

None. A Jeep is a Jeep. It isn't cushy, it isn't a smooth ride, it's bumpy and bouncy and windy. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Amazing Summer Vehicle
By Kevin Maude

1992 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Wrangler as a second summer car and boy did I make a great decision. There is nothing better then taking the top down and riding with the tunes turned up in a Wrangler! And don't forget to give the "Jeep Wave" to fellow Wrangler owners - priceless.

Favorite Features

Open air ride, strong 6 cylinder engine, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Not many creature comforts - it's a Jeep, people! Smoother ride.

square headlights bad
By john

1992 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

The YJ (sqare headlight) jeeps are horrible. The new TJs are nice and the old CJs are nicer. I has my 92 YJ for 4 months and sold it because it had no character and i couln't take the sight of all that interior plastic! Now I have a classy 1985 Jeep CJ-7, more work but much more fun- and it has character!

Favorite Features

selling it for my CJ! Fuel Injected engine.

Suggested Improvements

Round headlights, loose the plastic interior.