Used 1991 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

My adult Lego!
By Famousff

1991 Jeep Wrangler SUV Islander 2dr SUV 4WD

This is my second Yj wrangler, they are very fun to drive. Not bad on the freeway with a hard top and full doors. Very easy to take on and off. There are so much you can do to this ride to make it your own. Nothing can beat driving a wrangler with the doors off and top down on a nice sunny day!

Favorite Features

options are endless, easy to replace and upgrade, just like a lego

Suggested Improvements

more rust protection

Great if you realize what you're buying
By bigticket42

1991 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

I had alway wanted a Jeep and I finally bought one. First of all I love mine, but you need to realize what you are buying. These are loud and ride very stiff from the factory. I have the 4 Cylinder and like it because I get 18 - 20 around town. The downfall with the 4 is that it is not fast. I think 75 mph is pushing it on a flat surface so it is not great for going out of town in (although my daughters will drive these when they get their first car) I recommend the soft top, although loud one person can take it down and back on in under 5 minutes. The hardtop is a pain to get off and on and is a multiple person job. If you have both the hardtop is ideal for winter. Mine has been reliable.

Favorite Features

You buy these for the ability to take the top off and have a 4X4 and this is perfect for that reason. Tons of accessories are available to personalize. Being able to take the doors off is one of my favorite features. Gas mileage with the 4 cylinder being at 18-20 in town. Go anywhere ability.

Suggested Improvements

Until recently the Jeeps came with terrible wheels (style wise). Gauges in these years of Jeeps are not all that accurate. Needs a center console but I bought an aftermarket one. Better looking bumpers like a tube style bumber would be nice.

Great all around Jeep
By zsundsten

1991 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Looking for a dependable, strong, go- anywhere fun Jeep? This is it. I opted for the 4 cylinder because it has plenty of power with better fuel economy. Wranglers are for adventurous people who want to have fun - not for people who want a comfortable cadillac. Since the Jeep is not the most comfortable - but does what it is supposed to excellent.

Favorite Features

Fun factor & offroad capabilities. Also great on ice and snow driving.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can think of is for reclinable seats - the driver and passanger seats are fixed back, non- reclinable. Not a big deal though.

mud monster
By scott20

1991 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

My jeep was the best suv i think i will ever own. I used it for off-roading and i drove it throw a mud up to the middle of the windshield and it powered right throw. It was crazy off-raod. I had Mud Kings 235/75/15 that is only 2 sizes bigger then stock. There was no lift in it. I had to replace the tranny once but i was rough on the jeep when i was off-road. Other then that it just needed basic maintance. I am sad to say that i totaled my jeep.

Favorite Features

The 4 by 4 system was the best it would go throw any thing i put it throw butit would not pull any one out.

Suggested Improvements

Jeep should have stayed with the square headlights.

Built Great
By Rhea1

1991 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

This is a tough workhorse. After 12 years and 140,000 miles still runs great. Starts every morning. But it is what it is... Don't buy this vehical thinking you are getting anything else but a Jeep. It is not a car! If buying make sure you get the 4.0 IL6- It makes all the difference in the world. I have had two batteries and the water pump replaced in 12 years. I cant say enough good things about Jeep.

Favorite Features

Very inexpensive common parts. If you are in need of auto parts. Lift kits are 500 - 700 $$ very inexpensive. Easy to add after market parts to. 4.0 Engine

Suggested Improvements

Tougher front and rear axles-DANA 44's please