1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:
Original Owner
By RetiredArmy on 05/31/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

Owned since new, primary vehicle for first year, then wised up and used as second or third ever since, where it excels as convertible, off-roader, tow vehicle, winter driver, grocery getter; fun, practical, economical to operate and easy to maintain. 17- 20mpg with 5sp/2.5L, stock. Just don't ask it to carry more than two adults, spend hours on the highway or keep you cool in the heat (though its warm enough in the winter). Took it to Turkey & Germany, was right vehicle for first country, wrong for second. Next time will buy hardtop w/AC and get the softtop later.

Bulletproof construction, fun to drive
By Buddy Ochoa on 08/27/08 20:07 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I haven't had this for long. It's very simple. No power steering, ABS, AC, or anything extra except the aftermarket pioneer radio. Off roads nice and has great ground clearance even with stock sized tires and no lift. Always starts up and is ready to go.

The way a Jeep ought to be
By A Real Jeep on 08/15/07 19:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

Remember when you got a Jeep because the bumpy ride was part of the reason to own one. Well this is that Jeep. If you ever had a buddy that had an old army Jeep and can remember driving through fields and bouncing around then this Jeep will take you right back to those days. They are just short of a small tank. Mine has all the aftermarket stuff and I don't know if there is much out there that would really hurt it. Trees, brush, even a deer (oh how I hate it when they do jump out in front of ya.) But hey it will hit it and you never feel anything but the bump.

Will run forever and always gets you home
By Jeepster88 on 06/15/06 15:01 PM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jeep with 124,000 on it and have done a lot of driving in 23,000 miles; now it reads nearly 150k but still purrs along like new. I lifted mine 6" on 33" Xterrains and have jumped it, swamped it, flooded it, and she still runs great if you change the oil.

Only automobile I ever loved
By ADO on 03/11/06 06:54 AM (PST)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Have owned it for all 16 years of its life. Mechanical troubles early on were covered by Chrysler warranty. Most of the kinks worked out by 5 years or so.

Bulletproof Car!
By Ryan85 on 12/28/05 13:58 PM (PST)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I have my YJ lifted 5 1/2" on 33's and love it more than any car I've owned. I have owned over 17 in my lifetime. I drive this car very hard and take it on difficult offroad trails. This is also my daily driver, vacation vehicle and commuter to work. Keep in mind when buying that this is not a smooth driving car, not showy on the interior, but will last you along time and is very easy and cheap to repair. I rock climb, mud bogg, trail ride and drive it on the beach. This is an excellent vehicle.

Kinda Bummed
By SargentWoody on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD

Bought with high extectations, motor has good compression, but no one can seem to get it to stop stalling. It has the webber carb, but still has hoses running everywhere! 4WD doesn't engage due to problems from the vacuum actuated front axle. Engine vibrates very hard, and compared to the fuel injected 4 cylinder, my 6 cylinder is the bigger dog of the two. ARGH!!! I think I will be more patient and look harder for a 4.0 FI equipped wrangler next time.

This is my dream car
By apzak on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

Ever since I got my Wrangler I enjoyed it. Working on it has been very easy, very cheap, and educational. It never left me stranded. For 127,000 miles and a 1990 I'm very impressed with reliability. Thing are holding up very good, and build quality is greater than the previous japanese sports car I drove. That Japanese car had so many rattles and was 8 years newer than my Jeep with 1/4 the miles. I wouldn't change anything about this car. Well, maybe lockers, lift and bigger tires but if it was built perfect from the factory your couldn't have fun working on it and building it the way you want.

Won't Burn a Drop of Oil
By cropear on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV S 2dr SUV 4WD

Had Jeep Since 1994. No Problems at all. Interior is starting to break down due to UV rays and temprature extremes. But starts up every morning.

90 wrangler laredo
By paul.jung on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Jeep Wrangler SUV Laredo 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this jeep with 60,000 miles on it,after one month I had to replace all the U-joints,timing chain,rear main seal.After trying to tweak the bbd carb ,I gave up and got a weber that was the best upgrade I made now it gets about 12miles to the gal.and good performance.