Used 2014 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Reliability, style, handling
By Steve Flanigan

2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

2014 Jeep Patriot High Altitude fwd, CVT Automatic w/ Auto-stick (No option for this car on review form) ... Vehicle had one previous owner, with 19,000 miles. Having driven it for 16 months - I recommend this to anyone who wants practicality, good looks and a bit of sophistication .. whether you take road trips with it or not. The worst part of the car, first: the CVT Transmission. This has been replaced on many Chrysler vehicles with a 6-speed auto, because people like to have their car SHIFT - cleanly and with no fuss, to the next gear. The CVT, in normal mode, doesn't really do that ... It has a 'gradual rubber-band' concept .. it slowly expands with acceleration, and contracts ... and does leave a sort of unsatisfying feeling. It's like as you go past 10mph it's gripping the engine too tightly, and doesn't let the power unwind. ... But that's in REGULAR mode -- Chrysler had done a not great job of advertising the Auto-stick feature, and how to use it. - Using the auto-stick, this 2.0 liter engine comes to life! It's good at merging onto the highway -- As you take the brake off and go to turn, onto the entrance ramp, you put the shifter to the right and a gear will appear on the dash (1) ... Then you pop the shifter to the right, repeatedly, as revs signal ... and it gives you all the power you need to get on the freeway! When you hit 6th gear ... then you put to the right and hold it, for 'Drive' - give it some gas and put the cruise control where you want it. It's easy ... and fun! It does mimic a stick-shift ... You basically got 6-speeds built in to the shifter .. but some people don't know it. Even these professional car places, like __, or _&_ apparently just drove it in 'auto' mode, and claimed 0-60 mph in freakin' 10.7 seconds or something. I assure you the High Altitude can get to 60 mph quicker than that. Normal leisurely driving around town, doing errands, with the trans in normal auto mode you go just fine. The trans is a bit loud, and so is the whole powertrain, but the " professional " reviewers don't understand a lot of people don't care about that. ... This car has the upgraded stereo - with the sun and sound package (including awesome moonroof) .. Uconnect center, to hook up your smart phone and have hands-free communication ... and Sirius Satellite Radio! Bad-a__. ... It's got leather seats, 17inch tires and awesome Mineral Grey rims. As well as the beautiful gun-metal Maximum Steel exterior paint, the sheer amount of stuff in this car really surprised me. My wife loves it. And though this a genuine compact SUV, on the highway heavy wind doesn't really bother it - The suspension takes curves with aplomb, and the Patriot never feels tippy. Brakes feel solid, and safe. Cruising between 70-75mph (Jeep has excellent Overdrive) I've gotten a decent 28mpg highway. The inside really is flat-out luxury - Really cold a/c, with 360-degree vent control ... cool lighted cup-holders ... and heated leather seats, for cold winter days. The 2.0 liter multi-valve motor isn't a torque monster, but if you rev it it will go, on the highway ... And (using the Auto-stick, and 89 Octane gas) it will keep up with any four, and many V6s, off the stoplight to about 50 mph. So I don't understand other people's reviews different places saying this vehicle with the 2.0 is slow ... They're not. Maybe they don't know how to use the Auto-stick. You've got 158 horsepower .. And they're ALL THERE. (unlike many import small SUVs' hp rating) .... The thing I like best is the ride - It's a perfect combination of taut, and comfortable. After many thousand miles the High Altitude is a great experience, for my wife {and occasionally me} ... All in all a satisfying purchase :-)

Great car until.....
By julie

2014 Jeep Patriot Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In November 2014, we leased a brand new Patriot 4x4 with the CVT transmission for our 16 year old daughter. It's been a great vehicle around town but not on the freeway for an extended drive. We live in San Francisco and drove it to Los Angeles, 7/2016 on Interstate 5. We had to pull over 4x on the way due to the transmission overheating. When this happens the engine power is automatically reduced and you can't go over 40, you have to pull over and leave the car running until the transmission cools down. This is a huge safety hazard when you are in the fast lane and have to navigate to the right shoulder where the average speed on I5 is 75-80mph. On our return trip it overheated again. We took it to our local dealer upon our return and "they don't know what the problem could be, there are no error codes and the transmission fluid is not burnt." This vehicle only had 22,000miles on it. If you search "Jeep Patriot CVT transmission problems" you will find this is not an isolated occurrence. Fortunately for us, this is a lease vehicle and we are not stuck with it or trying to sell it. We will replace it in November 2016 with another brand which is more reliable on the highway, as we are greatly concerned with out daughters highway safety when she is driving from LA to SF from college. It's too bad because the Patriot was the perfect fit for her.

Not impressed
By Nora joyce

2014 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Poor performance. I already need new brakes (15,000 miles). Exterior seems flimsy and too light weight. Excessive road noise

Love my new ride
By Christine Lopez

2014 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For me the Jeep Patriot is perfect for my needs. I am able to easily get in and out of the car without issues. The seats to me our comfortable and the rear storage is plenty of room for my needs. The only issue I see so far as I am still adjusting to my new car is to put my dogs in the back with their doggie seats is difficult as one side is way too wide to hook the safety straps, yes my dogs have their own car seats. I use to have a RAV4 and the storage in the car was more hidden, but overall the Jeep does have plenty of storage too. Can't truly give a better overall rating as the car is only a week old and so far I am liking it and time will tell how everything else is for maintenance and repairs.

It's a Jeep!
By George

2014 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First of all, it's a Jeep. Do you want plush comfort when driving? I don't think so! It's a Jeep! You really feel the road. You really have to shift gears. The steering is pretty easy though. The worse thing about the Patriot is the front visibility at about 45 degrees on both sides. This is really a problem unless you're very careful when approaching crosswalks.
I wish the gas mileage were a little better, but I shouldn't expect it on a car this size. I get 23 mpg in the city. It could be a little better. The fold-down rear seats are really neat - they fold down all the way, and the passenger-side front seat also folds down.
I like the engine noise - I know what the engine is doing. It's not very loud, but you can hear it revving. 1st gear is powerful - I haven't had any problem going up steep hills on dirt. The other gears are fun because you can go fast in them without the engine over-revving, and you can hear the gas injectors doing their job. I drive in 4th gear under 40 mph, and can downshift to gears that would over-rev the engine in other cars (all other cars I've owned). Once you catch on to how the gears work it's a rush to use them, especially downshifting and revving up to 3 or 4000 to upshift.
The brakes are super nice. I don't know they're there, and I've had to brake sharply on a couple of occasions - no problem, but then I've never had ABS brakes. (my brakes squeak when cold or wet at very low speeds).
The agency where I bought the Patriot honors the warranty, no questions asked. And they wash the car when you service it!
What I'm saying is, it's a little rough for the driving. The front seats are very comfortable. I like a little rough. It's a Jeep!!