Go against the flow! Go old school!
By skaad on
2013 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)
Our '03 Jeep Liberty was starting to rack up some repairs and then the real kicker was the 12 mpg continual run to the pump. A new car was easier on the budget. I still wanted a small 4wd C/SUV, but with excellent gas mileage. Looking to a balance my need for good cargo space, ability to carry a fair amount of weight and still be economical, I test drove every one of the Asian built tennis shoe/used soap bar shaped AWD vehicles - especially after reading the reviews of the Jeep Patriot/Compass. I did not even bother with test driving this vehicle. Only the Mazda CX5 came close ($$$ and lack of cargo weight). Finally the Patriot - the reviews are wrong! It rocks! It is a dream to drive.
Favorite Features
1. The autostick - if I need power out of a stoplight or to suck me through a corner it's there! Otherwise I let the computer save me $$ and shift at the best rpms. The computer also learns to predict your needs and can be reset as needed 2. We have the upgraded 9 speakers and u430 radio - awesome! 3. Heated seats 4. It's old school looks - we have the deep cherry red and it is a head turner. Nice to both have a connection to the traditional Jeep looks and not look like every other tennis shoe! 5. Square vehicles can get great gas mileage (the rounded Compass gets the same mpg, only the shell is different) 6. Value - loaded for $5000 less than base Mazda! 7. 22-30 mpg, really! 8. Leg room!
Suggested Improvements
Although I have grown to really like the CVT, it smooth shifting and the timing for economy vs. power takes some getting used to. The 2014, FD1 4x4 and FWD models now have a traditional geared 6 speed transmission. Initially, it does seem perkier, but honestly now that I understand the CVT and autostick, I get just as much power out of it. I'd you do get the CVT, read about it - you will grow to love it with understanding. They also upped the sound damping in the '14. (not really needed). The bucket seats are a little narrow, but better than most.