Used 2012 Jeep Patriot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Jeep Patriot - Consumer Reviews

2012 Jeep Patriot

View reviews for a specific Patriot model:

Very impressed
By fallguy83

2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased our 2012 Patriot in Feb. of 2014. My wife totaled my 2003 Tacoma 4x4 after hitting some black ice and losing control. Thank the Lord my wife was fine other than some bruises and a concussion. We decided we needed something better on gas and with a closed back end to haul things out of the weather. 4 wheel drive is a must since we live on a farm and do get snow in our part of Kentucky often enough. We've put nearly 20k on it in the year we've had it and love it. Has had no issues and like every owner says, don't listen to the magazine and professional reviews. This thing is a great vehicle and value for the money.

Favorite Features

I love the room this thing has for such a small looking vehicle. The CVT is awesome on the interstate. We just took a trip and I set the cruise at 75mph and the Jeep just rolls right along and even the mountains in Tennessee didn't phase it. No strain and no jerking like a normal automatic trying to find the right gear. Just a great vehicle. The Freedom Drive I is excellent in the snow. So far, much better than my Tacoma had been. Also does great on the farm. We use to haul chicken feed and garden stuff and it goes wherever we need it to without any struggle.

Suggested Improvements

Ours came with the 16 inch steel rims and we had to get new tires. OE tires are an odd size and almost impossible to find. We ended up going a size taller which was a visual improvement but I wish Jeep had put a more aggressive and common size tire on from the factory. No complaints whatsoever on the Patriot. If you need something with decent off road ability and great snow and all weather capability, the Patriot is great. BTW, our average fuel mileage is right at 22 mpg. My wife works 40 miles from home and its a full mix of highway, stop and go, and country roads. So I think that's very good for a vehicle of this size.

2012 Patriot 4x2 Latitude - Altitude Edition
By bmckeeman

2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I have been considering purchasing a Patriot since they first came out, and since then they have made tons of improvements! I test drove a 2010 did not like it enough to make the commitment. My last vehicle was an 03 Corolla, so it was quite a change for me. I wanted a car with lots of cargo space and decent mileage, so I looked at some smaller cars like the Fit, Impreza, and XV Crosstrek. I found the Patriot to be the best combo of style, utility, mileage for my tastes. I have wanted a Jeep ever since I was a kid, and the Patriot delivers! I finally chose a White Altitude Edition, which is an amazing color combo! LOVE my Pat!

Favorite Features

Exterior design, utility, its a Jeep! CVT is different, but after the first day I already knew I would like it better than the old 4 speed auto in my Corolla. It is crazy smooth, even though it has the typical CVT "drone" when you merge onto the highway, etc...but not bad at all really. Mileage has been great so far too! About 24 combined, and I drive 80% city. MPGs should improve as the CVT gets broken in. Interior is awesome! Love the layout. Uconnect is pretty good as well. Remote start is the best thing ever to deal with Ohio winters, and heated seats are HOT. Aftermarket availability of parts for Jeeps is great, I have already purchased a few extra add-ons.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the sunroof was not bundled with the Boston Acoustics system. I have always installed my own aftermarket audio solutions, and I dont want to be stuck with an overpriced system just to get a sunroof. View out of the windshield is a little low, so its hard to see traffic lights if you stopped at the line. I have to duck down a bit to see the light, or stay back farther. This isnt necessarily Jeeps fault, but coming from a Corolla the visibility is not as good. Intermitent settings on the wipers are a bit weird. Put in a turbo diesel!

Great Vehicle, Excellent Value
By txoutdoors

2012 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got the Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD with the 2.0L engine. I opted for CVT over the standard 5 speed manual. And I'm in Texas so it had to have A/C. But I chose to go without power locks, power windows, heated mirrors, etc. I've had it for six months now and it's a pleasure to drive and comfortable to travel in. It handles highways well. I've done driving on two-tracks and rough dirt roads on government land and it handled them with ease. The controls are large making them easy to see and use. The windows give you a nice sight picture all the way around and the mirrors give a great view to the back whether going down the road or backing into a garage. Overall, I very happy with my Patriot.

Favorite Features

MPG!!! Whether it's just me and my lunchbox going to work, or loaded with 1,000 pounds of people and luggage (and two mountain bikes on the roof-rack) on a 1,100 mile trip across the Ozarks to the midwest, I consistently get 24.8 to 25.1 MPG. Large, easy to see controls means less time spent looking for and fumbling with small knobs and buttons. Your eyes spend more time on the road. I love the automatic, though CVT takes some getting used to. It doesn't "feel" like a regular automatic. And it's kind of weird watching your speed increase as the RPM's decrease. The A/C works well and the heater gets the interior PLENTY warm set at about "medium" and the fan on 3 (out of 9 clicks).

Suggested Improvements

I'm gonna have this thing till it won't go anymore. My only concern is repair costs on the CVT in the future. I've heard it isn't cheap. That aside, I can't really think of any improvements. Then again, I didn't "settle" for a vehicle either. When it was time to shop for a new vehicle, I asked myself what I NEEDED in a vehicle, as opposed to what I WANTED from a vehicle. No matter how tempted I was by my "wants" as the process went along, I forced myself to stick to the "needs" list I made up at the very beginning. I looked at various vehicles, took test drives, crunched numbers. And the Jeep Patriot Sport with the 2.0L engine, CVT, A/C, and manual windows and locks fit my needs perfectly.

Surprisingly Jeep-like! But...incredibly comfortable.
By wrightonman

2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I reluctantly and sullenly bought the Patriot over a year ago. With a growing family, full sized dog & insane gas prices, I traded in my Wrangler with resent...the poor Patriot didn't have a chance. I hated it before I even set foot in the Jeep dealership-lol I was 100% wrong. I honestly cannot say anything bad about this vehicle. I really like it! I grew up with a CJ5 as our "family" car, I have no idea how my parents managed that!?! My favorite Jeep product I ever owned was a 1988 Cherokee & the sweet little Patriot comes darn close to that Cherokee in looks and solid feel. Performance is far better, off-roading...well, I'm older now & seldom hit the trails. Great little 4X4Xme.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy isn't too shabby for a 4WD vehicle. Love the boxy shape. It has adequate power for passing, the 2.4 liter will eagerly pull to the redline. Autostick is handy. The ride is so smooth yet firm enough to inspire "alternate routes" down dirt roads now and then. "Low Range" crawls nicely. Plenty of room for 2 adults, 2 kids, 80lb dog, gear/luggage (the roof carries extra cargo if needed.) Neat built-in LED flashlight in the rear liftgate area. Great sound system! The all speed stability control/traction control is phenomenal, came in real handy on a curved exit ramp last winter, it completely recovered from the skid before I could react! Thank you Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

Whimpy single note horn-lol It needs a pretty face, some headlight trim rings like the Wrangler has would be nice. Why not square headlights like the original XJ bodies had? A revvy Jeep is odd for people like me. We are used to torquey (gas guzzling) large displacement engines that grunt around instead of zinging up to the redline to get the job done. It takes some getting used and feels fine now. I just think that some people are put off by this "car" characteristic and don't even give this vehicle a chance. Like I almost did.

Best SUV Deal in the USA
By lameduck9

2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I have 2k miles on my Patriot Sport 4WD CVT and I am very happy with it. Some reviews state that it lacks power. I have no problem with the acceleration but I am no jack rabbit starter. The CVT(tranny) takes a little getting use to but is fine after you do. It is a stick/auto so you can up/down shift it at will through 6 speeds. I get 26mpg highway w/o the A/C, 20 in the city. I don't go 4-wheeling but have gone over rough terrain at camp and it is fine for that. I'm sure it is going to good in the snow in the coming winters. I ended up paying $19.5k after discounts/incentives/bargining the MSRP was $22.5. I recommended this car.

Suggested Improvements

The 2.4 engine is ok at 172HP but if they worked it and boosted it to 190HP I believe everyone would be happy with the proformance. The rear seat could use more padding. It should be more sound proofed from engine & road noise. Shortly after buying the SUV I jack the car up on all four wheels and undercoated it with 6 cans of a good undercoating. This lowered those sounds from coming into the cabin.