Was I Surprised
By goobie2 on
2011 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car because it was the cheapest 4x4 with some off road capability on the market. I was not expecting much from Chrysler/Jeep & really didn't want to buy anything from them. I test drove it & was impressed so I bought it. WOW!!! Have I ever been surprised & pleased. I had bought a Honda CRV & a Toyota RAV4 a year earlier & wish I had purchased two Patriots instead. The Patriot has performed better than expected, well under all conditions & is a solid vehicle. The only problem I have had was the transmission overheated, but I blame Jeep & the dealer for not notifying me about a needed update for the CVT. Gas mileage is not great & it is geared low.
Favorite Features
Great Price!! For off roading it has skid plates, high clearance & approach angles, low gearing, tow hooks, full size spare, you can change from AWD to 4WD. Comfortable ride on road & good handling. Interior control are all easy to understand & easy to reach.
Suggested Improvements
Redesign the rear seat & cargo areas for more space. Visibility out the rear & rear side windows is poor, but all cars are like that now so I don't know what you can do. Maybe buy a real old car.
By jeeppatriot1
on 03/25/14 08:48 AM (PDT)

Please watch out for your transmission! You are not alone! Please, take 2 mins to copy your comment and paste it onto the www.nhtsa.gov website. This is a website that determines if a recall will be done or not. I own a 2011 Jeep Patriot and it stalled as me as well on HWY. I have in 30 years never replaced a transmission at 123K miles (HWY miles) I have already replaced my transmission. While you are on the website, look up 2011 Jeep Patriot, you will see the same kind of issue that you have others are having. Someone is going to die because this vehicle shuts off. On the website above a person who doesn’t even own a Jeep Patriot wrote that he rear ended a Jeep Patriot going 70 mph on a HWY, his 70 year old Mother was the passenger. The jeep in front of him never “braked” because it simply shut off completely so they hit it head on. The government monitors this website, but of course unless there are enough reports they won’t recall it. So PLEASE take the time to enter this information. You could save a life. In addition, even if you don’t own this vehicle anymore, if you have had work done while you owned it that is recalled, you will get reimbursed your cost. Once your information is entered, that is all you have to do, if it’s recalled you will be contacted. So it benefits the safety of others and yourself. I am very passionate about this as I have contacted Chrysler and they “poo poo” the issue, saying oh, it’s high mileage. It’s not and this is a common problem with this year make and model. I’m shocked they do anything. A lawsuit with injuries, possibly deaths would cost them more.