Engine overheats
By rstonebrook on
2011 Jeep Patriot Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
This Jeep is not made for going thru mountains. When still under warranty and 4 different trips, traveling from Phx to Flagstaff AZ to see family in the hot summer, would lose ALL power, coasted to side of road, wait till engine cooled and. nothing they could but but add another raditaor under front bumper, but I had to pay for it $300. My husband is a disabled vet. The V.A. in Prescott az bought a fleet of these jeeps, and the V.A. is not happy. When they had to travel thru mountains to do in home care, overheating, V.A. contacted Chrysler, sorry theres nothing we can about the problem ! 13 gal tank don't get far. V.A. uses different, cars now & bolts to remove, air cleaners!
Favorite Features
None
Suggested Improvements
Larger gas tanks, Clips to remove air cleaner , some models have about 6 bolts to remove cover to get to air cleaner cover. Barrel shape air clean, you have to order and Jiffy Lube don't replace or stock them.
By jeeppatriot1
on 03/25/14 08:47 AM (PDT)

You are not alone! Please, take 2 mins to copy your comment and paste it onto the www.nhtsa.gov website. This is a website that determines if a recall will be done or not. I own a 2011 Jeep Patriot and it stalled as me as well on HWY. I have in 30 years never replaced a transmission at 123K miles (HWY miles) I have already replaced my transmission. While you are on the website, look up 2011 Jeep Patriot, you will see the same kind of issue that you have others are having. Someone is going to die because this vehicle shuts off. On the website above a person who doesn’t even own a Jeep Patriot wrote that he rear ended a Jeep Patriot going 70 mph on a HWY, his 70 year old Mother was the passenger. The jeep in front of him never “braked” because it simply shut off completely so they hit it head on. The government monitors this website, but of course unless there are enough reports they won’t recall it. So PLEASE take the time to enter this information. You could save a life. In addition, even if you don’t own this vehicle anymore, if you have had work done while you owned it that is recalled, you will get reimbursed your cost. Once your information is entered, that is all you have to do, if it’s recalled you will be contacted. So it benefits the safety of others and yourself. I am very passionate about this as I have contacted Chrysler and they “poo poo” the issue, saying oh, it’s high mileage. It’s not and this is a common problem with this year make and model. I’m shocked they do anything. A lawsuit with injuries, possibly deaths would cost them more.